Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD drive stopped reading DVDs, CDs work fine

• Please log in to reply

dhouggy

dhouggy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Help!

I have a Lenovo 3000 v100 laptop, about 2 years old, running Windows XP.
It came with an LG DVD/CD RW combo optical drive. Worked fine until recently.

It currently reads and burns audio and data CDs fine.

It will not read or write DVDs. When I try to play a movie DVD with Intervideo WinDVD, I get an error like "Intervideo WinDVD encountered an error and needs to close."
It will also not read with Real Player or Windows Media Player -- I get similar generic error messages.

I have tried different DVDs, including homemade ones and professionally produced ones, same thing.
I can open the DVD folder and see the video files, but they won't open. I can copy the files to my hard drive, but they won't open.
One DVD, "Closer," the opening menu starts up, but it won't move beyond that to play the DVD.

I updated the BIOS from Lenovo's site, no change.
I deleted the upper and lower registers, no change.
I tried deleting and reinstalling the drive, no change.
I physically removed and reinstalled the drive, no change.
Assuming the drive was defective, I bought a new Samsung drive and installed it, same problem.

I don't think it's dirty DVDs -- they play fine in my other DVD players.
Hard to believe the second DVD player was also defective, but I guess maybe...

Help!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
LG is NOT known for quality CD or DVD drives. I have 6 of them i am saving for parts since they won't read disks anymore.
I would replace the drive because the dvd eye has probably shorted out( i have one like that).

http://www.xpcgear.c...limoptical.html

http://www.directron...c4241nimj5.html

or perhaps,

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

There are even worse drives are out there. I have a few H-L data storage drives that work every once in a while. I replaced them with reliable Lite-on units on the desktop computers.

All these drives are too expensive to repair. Replacement is the cheapest , best solution.

SRX660

dhouggy

dhouggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, thanks, but I already tried replacing it with a brand new Samsung unit. You think the brand new one is bad, too?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Combi drives do not write DVDs. They should be able to read them but they won't be able to write them. A DVD Writer will write DVDs.
The issues with playing DVDs I would argue are software problems, not hardware problems because you've changed the unit.
Best thing to do is uninstall Real Player and WinDVD, then restart the computer and reinstall them. This may sort you out.

dhouggy

dhouggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry, it's not a combi drive, its a DVD/CD writer.

I tend to agree that is seems like a software problem.

Could I be missing some DVD codecs or something?

dhouggy

dhouggy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK, so I finally just did a system restore to several months ago, and that fixed the problem.

Thanks!