Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using two computers

• Please log in to reply

duscarter

duscarter

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I need some input please. This forum is great. My boss wants to use her laptop and desktop at the same time. Don't ask - there are certain applications on our laptops that are not on our desktops and vice-versa.

I think I could buy some type of ethernet splitter and run both at the same time.

Question:

Would a KVM switch make more sense? I don't know how they work. She needs to use applications on both computers, but it would be nice to use the same keyboard and mouse. I could use some clarification before we order it.

Thanks,

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
KVM switches are possible but pointless on a laptop. Why can your boss just not put the laptop next to the desktop? Bear in mind most KVM switches require input from a keyboard PS/2 Connector, which a lot of recent laptops don't have any longer, therefore the switch wouldn't work anyway.

FYI, a KVM switch is a little box that lets you use the same keyboard, mouse and monitor on two computers. You just press a key combination to switch between them as and whn. I'd argue they're not much use on a laptop because they've got built-in keyboard, mouse and screen anyway.

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you Neil,

I thought that might be the case. Today I plugged both computers into a router, and she is very happy with the results. The next to do is to set her assistant up with dual monitors for her desktop.

She didn't know she hired a wanna-be IT guy. Thanks to this site! :)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If you want you can use VNC.
You put Vnc server on the laptop and vnc viewer on the desktop. When you have them both connected to the router
you click on the vnc icon (on the desktop) and it will bring the laptop screen up and you use the desktop keyboard and mouse.

Cheers
peterm

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sorry to re-visit this, but I have a new question along the same line. I want two use two CPU's (desktops), two monitors (can be an extended screen), same mouse and keyboard.

I bought a KVM switch, but I can't use both monitors. Heading back to Staples now to see if they have something.

Is it possible, or should I just get a USB VGA cable for the extra monitor and use 1 CPU?

Thanks Again!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
see my post above

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Wish I could PeterM. That's how our IT guys remotely work on our issues. I can't download software on work CPU's. I am hoping there is another way to do it.

BTW, my IT guys couldn't figure out why my extended screen was green. This forum figured it out in a night. (earlier post)

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
something like this
2 monitors