Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Profiles Loading and Loading and Loading

• Please log in to reply

fstech

fstech

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
What I'm running: I'm running 2 DC's running Windows 2k3, the teacher desktops are Windows 2k SP4, and the new computers and lab computers are Windows XP Pro. All of the teacher's profiles and documents are loaded on the 1st domain server, students on the 2nd domain server.

The problem: When a user logs into one of the Windows XP computers for the first time it often takes 5+ minutes before the login process completes. This is not limited to one user but anyone who usually uses a Windows 2k machine and logs into a Windows XP machine for the first time. It makes it very hard for these users (teachers) to properly prepare and present lessons as well as hard for me to do training with them. Is there anything I should be checking on? When I look through the error logs on the 1st domain server I see no errors that are related to profiles and directories loading. When I look on the second domain server there are DNS errors stating the 2nd domain server is receiving packets addressed to itself, but there is no correlation between that and when teachers are logging on. The error happens many times a day.

Need more info? Let me know, thanks.

Advertisements

lorinzo2002

lorinzo2002

• Pip
  • 7 posts
well since no one else is going to reply, I will. I assume your using roaming profiles is this correct?

fstech

fstech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
We do use roaming profiles

lorinzo2002

lorinzo2002

• Pip
  • 7 posts
is there any paticular reason why you are using roaming profiles? from my exp. with them, it takes longer to login. also, is your dns setup right? do you have the dns entered on each machine to point to the correct domain controller? if it's pointed somewhere else it will take a long time to authenticate when they go to login. I assume the user doc's are pointed somewhere as well, if the user has a bunch of doc's, and they go to login somewhere new for the first time, it will take quite awhile to replicate the doc's. and depending on where the doc's are located, such as a NAS box, it will be a little slower than normal.

fstech

fstech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Our students (and sometimes teachers) login to multiple computers per day, that's why we use roaming profiles. As far as I can tell the DNS is setup to point to the main domain controller. User documents are on a mapped network drive when they login, their documents folder points to the mapped networked drive.

I'll just let them know to be patient and login to these machines well in advance of using them.

lorinzo2002

lorinzo2002

• Pip
  • 7 posts
sounds like you've got it all set up correctly. as long as the dns is pointing to your active directory authenticating machine it should be fine. first time they log into a machine they have never logged onto before will be slow because it has to make a local copy of that roaming profile. after that, logging on and off should be better if all is correct. Just my look on things.