Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet randomly stops working.

• Please log in to reply

SerialBox

SerialBox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright, so I was pretty stoked when my parents told me we were upgrading to FIOS. Now that we have it, I'm noticing that it shuts off alot randomly. And then just connects again if I wait for it, so it's not like a ethernet cable is sliding out and I'm losing the connection. Also I've noticed this:

I have a really old router, bought in the mid 90's, My internet works perfectly with it, but my speed is noticably slow. According to speedtest.net, around 6,000 BPS download.
When I use my new router, just bought a few months ago, my speed is around 25,000 BPS. But it shuts off randomly.

I have no idea what the problem could be. Either it's the router, or the computer itself. But, the router never had this problem when it was being used by my father(FIOS gave him a new one). I just brought it upstairs and plugged it in, made no changes. My dad asked FIOS about this problem, but they said they never had anyone complain about this sort of problem. So I've been stuck with the slow speed, while the three computers downstairs all have great connections.

I need a router so I can go on my Xbox, and on the computer at the same time. :)

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well first of all are you running two routers? If so that may be your problem. you want one router and then if you need more uplink to a switch... I am no network expert put we've had a lot of complaints about dsl service in our area and it turned out the modems from the dsl service where routers and then people would hook up another router to it... you either replaced the router or more simply turned off the router portion and then it worked fine.