Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wininet.dll missing!

• Please log in to reply

Chrillzan

Chrillzan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Two days ago, my computer ran just fine. Panda suddenly warned me that it had detected a worm and that i had to restart my computer to fix it. I clicked OK and my computer restared without problems. When I logged in i was greeted by lots of popups about programs that stopped working. I tried to acces My Computer but it said "class not registrered", the same thing happens when i try to open Control Panel, my documents and every other folder on my desktop.

Programs such as Steam and MSN doesn't work, but Firefox does. I found out that i'm missing a .dll file called wininet.dll, i googled it and found a solution which said that I should copy wininet.dll from one computer, copy it onto a flashdrive and then manually put it into the sys32 folder using the command promt. I did this (copied wininet.dll from an XP computer to a vista) but it still doesn't work!

Basically i have the same problem as Poke89 has (also on this forum), although i haven't downloaded and tested Hijack This

I qoute what he said:

"What Happened:

I was running my computer just fine, when my anti-virus/firewall program (Panda) said that it found a virus and a restart was necessary to completely get rid of it. So I performed a restart, and as my computer was loading I kept receiving popups saying that certain programs were failing to start because WININET.dll was not found.

So I googled WININET.dll and found a website that you can download it off of, and did that. However, whenever I try to extract it into my system folder, it says that access is denied.

So I saved the file to my desktop, and attempted to manually copy/paste it into the folder. However, when I tried to open My Computer, I received an error message saying 'Class not registered'.

Now, I downloaded Hijack This, but when I try to unzip it I get an error message saying 'Can't create output file: C:/Program Files/Hijack This/Hijack This.exe'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated."

Edited by Chrillzan, 08 April 2008 - 02:44 PM.

Advertisements