Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problems

• Please log in to reply

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello I have a problem when I start my computer when Windows XP is loading right after it says I'm missing umpnpmgr.dll
so how do I upload this file from the Bios.Thanks

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Sounds like your hard drive may be dieing. Do you have a Windows CD? If you don't have one download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r

Allow it to complete undisturbed.

If it reports unrecoverable errors, you are most likely going to need a new hard drive, but first, you need to open the computer case and remove the hard drive (with power off) so you can see the manufacturer. Then go to the manufacturers web site and download their diagnostic utility. It will be available as a diskette or CD (iso) image. Create the diskette or CD (follow directions above) then boot the diskette or CD and run the drive diagnostic, see what it reports.

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I can't even log in though.Thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How are you posting here then? If you can't do this, have a friend do it for you and create the diskette or bootable CD.

This is where you need to start.