Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with Physical Memory

• Please log in to reply

lbcherokee

lbcherokee

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I supposedly have 512 MB of memory on my computer. When I checked w/System Admin a few minutes ago it said there were 212 MG free. This is unusually large - most of the time for the past yr I've been closer to 130 MB. I work w/graphics & photos but I store all my photos & graphic projects on CDs. & remove from the computer. I do use the Picaboo software to make photobooks & have 2 on the site. Are these books using the memory on my computer? I tried archiving a book a couple of yrs ago to a CD & removed it from the software. I was unable to retrieve the archived book from the CD & had to start from scratch. I'm not sure exactly what files,software, etc uses up the physical memory as opposed to the hard drive memory. I have lots of that available. I don't want to upgrade the memory on this computer because I plan to buy a new one in a few months after I move.

Advertisements

gutterman

gutterman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Data that you add to your hard drive or any secondary storage shouldn't use your memory. Does the Picaboo software stay in your system tray or have any active processes after you close the program? Does your memory usage show higher than normal at first signs of start up, or does it happen after using a program or two?

My main suggestion is open up your task manager and click the Processes tab. Sort it by Memory so that it is in descending order. (Big to Small) Look through all the processes and see if you recognize the names of any that shouldn't be there or are programs you know you close out. For example, seeing Picaboo.exe running after you've closed it out means there is a background process running. You are looking for suspicious processes that are using large amounts of memory.

If you find a process that is eating up memory on you, it may be worth opening up the command window (Start->Run) and running MSCONFIG. Type that in and click the "Startup" tab on top. The same process you identified before may be listed here in the startup. If so, it means you have a process running at startup that needs to no longer do so.

Sorry to be so wordy, it hurt me just as much to type it as it did for you to read it.

lbcherokee

lbcherokee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I followed your advice and now have a brand new problem. Picaboo was attached to Start-Up & I did what you said & took it off after archiving the 2 books I have on the site onto a CD. I had to restart the computer & now I'm getting a msg every time I start up - something about a fan and I have to click on F1. It now takes even longer to log on. I've had so many problems w/this computer over the past yr that I think it's beyond help. It's a Dell & only 5 yrs old. Thx for the help on the memory - I checked it after taking Picaboo off the StartUp & there was a little more. There are other things apparently attached to StartUp but since I have no idea what they are, I don't want to remove them - especially now w/the new problem.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The fan message should be an unrelated issue. Just make sure that the fans are all plugged in and working. You haven't told us what model you have, so it's hard to give specific advice about the hardware. Most computer repair shops will have a few used Dell fans around, they are generally different from your generic computer fan. Also, have you ever opened the machine up and done a proper cleaning, especially of the cooling system? That should be done once a year or so, more often in dusty environments.