Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista product key, all of a sudden invalid!

• Please log in to reply

LinkMaster03

LinkMaster03

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I installed the updates today. They did not install successfully, and the changes were reverted. So I restarted to try a few more times, no dice. Eh ok, I'll try again later after finding a solution on the internet. I logged back onto my account. The whole screen was black, and a screen came up saying my Vista Activation Key was invalid for activation. WHAT?! I typed in the exact product key on the bottom of my laptop in. An error came up:

Code: 0xC004F050
Description: The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid.

I have never touched it since I got my computer, and it was perfect ever since. PLEASE HELP!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I don't know about Vista but for XP some OEM versions install with their own product key, which is not unique, and the product key on the machine is just for reference if you call Microsoft or the OEM about your system, it shows that you have a legitimate installation. If you try to enter it or install with it you will get an error. You can install Belarc Advisor to find the product key for the actual installation. If it differs from the one on the machine that is the situation.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Genuine Validation under XP flagged some Volume Licence Keys up as being none genuine. A newer version changed this.

Under Vista, a new solution is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931276

LinkMaster03

LinkMaster03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks, the Belarc tip worked!