Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 8 - Why does it insert a blank line here?

• Please log in to reply

stearmandriver

stearmandriver

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Page in question:
http://www.thesuligoys.com/ust

CSS:
http://www.thesuligo...m/ust/style.css
and for IE:
http://www.thesuligo.../ust/ust_ie.css

Now... in standards-compliant browsers, the page displays great using the first stylesheet. I'm using an IE conditional statement to call the second stylesheet for IE, to fix some formatting problems. Well, using the second stylesheet really flummoxed IE 8, so I modified the conditional statement to only call the second sheet for IE 7 and below.

In theory, this should have worked great, since IE 8 is supposed to be standards-compliant. In practice, it ALMOST worked, but IE 8 inserts a blank line just above the .containerbottom div. This line isn't there in any other "standards-compliant" browser.

It's not the worst thing IE could do, but it does break the smooth flow of the containing box, and is annoying me. Does anyone know why this is happening or how to stop it?

Thanks...

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry to disappoint, but IE is not standards compliant. Not even close, but far better than IE 6 and below. IE 7 is kinda on its own, but also has its problems. The ONLY closest CSS2 compliant browser is Firefox although it has its problems with the acid test 3.

Will take a more in dept look and see what's with IE 8 although I don't use it. Nice page and layout.

Ron

stearmandriver

stearmandriver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the deal with IE 8 is that it really is SUPPOSED to be standards-compliant at long last. From the little bit I've used it, it seems pretty close. It just does weird things every once in a while, like this blank line.

To be fair, IE 8 is just beta, so I'm sure it has some glitches. I'm just trying to figure this one out.

stearmandriver

stearmandriver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok, problem solved by moving the .containerbottom element INSIDE the .container element, instead of just butting it up to the bottom. I don't know why this was necessary, but it makes IE8 happy and doesn't screw with any other browsers, so... yay Micrososft! :)

By the way, if you want a good laugh, download IE8 and then surf the microsoft website. It doesn't even display their OWN site correctly!