Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 Pro Login Issues - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Pennagirl

Pennagirl

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Please someone help!!

I cannot get Windows to login in at the login in screen. It is not a password username issue. The login takes the username and password, seems like it is cycling through and when its done, it is back to the login in screen.

I did the malware removal steps as suggested from this site. Cannot get to Hijackthis logs because I can't login. Cannot reload Windows because I can't login.

Was having issues with not being able to get to Remove/Edit Programs from Start Menu. And the system would not let me boot in Safe Mode before the current issue.

Thanks.

P.S. My drives (except C) are on the network and I CAN get to those drives. :)

HELP!!!!!!!

Advertisements

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Have you tried loging in as the Administrator. Type Administrator (capitalized) in the User name box and leave the password blank (by default Administrator password is blank). If you can get in as the Administrator you can go to users in the control panel and reset your password. If you still can't get in, try logging into safe mode and see if you get better results. As your computer is booting up, hit F8 repeatedly in about 2 or 3 second intervals. If you can get into safe mode, let us know so we can figure out what to do next.

Pennagirl

Pennagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the response. Yes, I log in as the administrator and the password that goes with it. It CYCLES, but then the login in box comes up again. Will not accept Blank as the password.

The system will not allow me to do an F8 to boot in safe mode. That was the original issue.

It is not an issue of not knowing the password, it will not come up after entering that information.

I can see from another computer my D and E drives not my C drive.

I can't reload Windows because I can't login.

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
It concerns me that you can't get into Safe Mode. I have a computer that has that problem. What I do is boot up the computer and wait until window starts to boot up then I cut the power to my computer. The computer sees this as a system boot failure and the next time I boot it up it gives me the menu that includes the safe mode option. It also concerns me that you normally sign in as the Administrator. From what I understand this can cause security vulnerabilities. Do you have any other user names that you can try signing in to?

Pennagirl

Pennagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
We are a very small office, 3 people, 4 computers. All are signon as administrator. We have a hardware firewall, no wireless.

I will try your solution tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK, I've done a little more research on this issue. I found this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249321 Does it say "saving your settings" before going back to the logon screen? If so, this article may apply to you. I looked at all of the fixes on the page and thought that repairing the master boot record (mbr) seemed like the easiest fix. Go to this website and download the windows 98 se oem bootdisk http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm Presuming you have a floppy drive, insert a new floppy disk in the drive and run the executable program you just downloaded. This will create a windows 98 boot disk. Restart your computer with the floppy disk in the drive and a windows 98 setup program should load. If it doesn't load, but goes straight to windows, you will have to configure bios to boot from your floppy drive. As you first boot up your computer, there is usually something tells you to press a particular to key to enter setup. Hit that key. If it doesn't tell you what key to hit try esc, try delete, and try F1. If I don't know which one to use I will usually hit all three one after another. Once you are into setup. Look for something that allows you to altar the boot order. Make sure that FDD or Floppy Drive is in the first slot. Be sure to save changes and exit. (usually F10). When your computer reboots it will boot from the floppy drive and windows 98 setup should load. When you get the command prompt type FDISK /MBR This will rewrite your master boot record. Take the floppy out of the disk drive and reboot. If this fixes the problem, you should be able to log into windows.a

If you do not have a floppy drive, it is possible to put the windows 98 setup program on a cd, but is tricky. It might be easier just to temporarily install a floppy drive on your computer.

If that fix doesn't work, I found another page that seemed relevant accept that the fixes on it are geared towards Windows XP http://www.kellys-ko..._wel_screen.htm Good Luck.

Edited by Sarah Jane Smith, 09 April 2008 - 04:42 PM.

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
In case you don't have a floppy drive, I created a windows 98 bootable iso that will allow you to boot into windows 98 from a cd-rom Just download the image and burn it using your favorite cd burning sofware. (select burn image to disk option). You can download the disk image here Make sure you uncheck the box that says "Our Stage" (or a different ad) before you start the download. If you don't have any cd burning software there are several free ones out there you can use. The one that I prefer can be found here

Edited by Sarah Jane Smith, 09 April 2008 - 06:21 PM.

Pennagirl

Pennagirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sarah,

Will the Window 98 boot disk work for the Windows 2000 that I have? We have a writable CD no disk drive.

Thank you so much for the help.

Pennagirl

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Will the Window 98 boot disk work for the Windows 2000 that I have? We have a writable CD no disk drive.

According to the Microsoft website I linked you to, it will. If you want to try this fix, just download the disk image that I linked you to. disk image (Make sure you uncheck the On Stage box before you start the download). I created it thinking you might not ave a floppy drive. You can use it to create a CD that can be used to try the fix. Make sure you use CD burning software and choose the burn image to disk option. If you merely copy the iso file onto the disk it will not work. There are no guarantees that it will work, but it is the best idea I can come up with right now. When you put in the password and it starts to cycle (as you put it), does it say "saving your settings" before it goes back to the logon? If so this fix might work for you. If it doesn't you might have a different issue.