Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to buy a new PC

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I am not a hardcore gamer but I do play some games. I mostly use the computer for photo editing, internet, music. I know I do not need an over kill but would like something that is up to date. I have been looking at circuit city, best buy to see what they have in the price range of 500.00 and seems to be some good things. When it comes to the CPU, I see a lot of 1.8ghz dual core. They say it will run faster then a single core 1.8ghz? Any cons or pros on that? The other is a lot of them have onboard video. Pros and cons against that? Any recommendations as to what to get in the price range of under 500.00?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Dual-core is the way to go these days. Single core processors are becoming hard to find, and there will come a day when dual-core processors are impossible to buy as well. Dual-core is a lot faster, two brains on one chip. Quad-core is four brains on one chip.

Onboard graphics is fine for internet, word processing, playing music and depending on what sort of photo editing you do, it could okay for that as well, but different boards have different quality and types of onboard graphics.