Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this a possible way to get WINSPY?

• Please log in to reply

Garret B

Garret B

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Can just hitting "Accept user's Web Cam" from someone accidently on Yahoo Messenger cause me to have something called WinSpy on my computer? Symantech took three things off my computer last week. Norton didn't pick up any viruses but some free spyware dector did. I don't have the name of the programs that said I had WINSPY because within a week AFTER Symantech removed these files my computer was unsuable and I had to do a system restore yesterday. I have NO idea why my computer failed after they took things off. I lost many personal files (that's another story). Anyway this free spyware dector said that the ijl15.dll file was something called WinSpy which is sold commercially as surveillance. I emailed the person responsible for selling WinSpy and he says his program doesn't use that ijl15 file. But what he failed to answer was whether or not JUST clicking accept a users web cam could cause that user to be ab le to capture a few days of everything I did on my computer. Thanks. The onther thing that happened is that STOPZILLA also detected the ifl15.dll file that same night. Symantech could NOT remove STOPZILLA. HP could not get it removed nor could Microsoft. Finally, I ended up calling the Stopzilla people who did remove it for me.

Anyway, within a week of Symantech messing with my computer, it was basically unsuable. Icouldnt' do any restores BEFORE the date that Symantech removed the files. I couldn't get to my Control Panel the normal Vista way (That button didn't work)-- I had scripting errors is what HP said I had and the only thing to do would be to do the clean factory restore. (There were other things I couldn't do that I needed to be a ble to do to work (I work at home). HP said that either what they removed or the removal process itself had caused the problem. DOes this make sense? Why did I pay 100.00 to have them remove these three things and have my computer fail? I don't feel 360 protected by my 360 Protectin, that's for sure.

Mostly what I want to know is if WINSPY was put on my computer JUST by me accidently accepting someone's Web Cam.

Here's what Symantech said they did that day. Removed:

spywareremover (Evidently Symantech doesn't keep good records because they failed to log the name of the spyware remover they removed from my computer.
ijl15.dll
szbase5.dll

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi Garret B and welcome to geeks to go

From the above comments I understand you would like to know if Winspy could be installed by clicking accept users webcam? this cannot happen as programs / software are installed by a executable file not by hardware, webcams are just for video conversations and taking snapshots of the user to either keep personally and cannot allow anyone to install programs, however odd / rouge programs can be installed by users and can also come bundled with others so please be cautious when doing this.

I'm also unsure which free spyware detector you used but here at geeks to go with have a list of free programs that you can have a look at, here is the link

http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html

Thanks

Garret B

Garret B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the response. You sort of seem to be saying "yes" and "no."... If the person who "invited" me to view the web cam was computer saavy, could he or she have somehow installed such a program that would run (meaning go to MY computer or whomever clicked the accept) whenever someone clicked his or her web cam invitation? THat seems to be what you are saying, but I just am asking for clarification. Thanks so much.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Thank you for the response. You sort of seem to be saying "yes" and "no."... If the person who "invited" me to view the web cam was computer saavy, could he or she have somehow installed such a program that would run (meaning go to MY computer or whomever clicked the accept) whenever someone clicked his or her web cam invitation? THat seems to be what you are saying, but I just am asking for clarification. Thanks so much.

Hi there Garret B

To claify the user who invites you to view webcam they cannot install programs

I hope this has helped resolved your question.