Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Processes [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jayway23

jayway23

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
How will you determine the processes that you don't really need that are running in your computer being able to see them at the task manager?

Edited by jayway23, 09 April 2008 - 12:14 AM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Question doesn't make sense.....but if I understand what you are saying, do you mean how do you know if you need a certain process running? Google for it.....usually will tell you a bit more about it.

jayway23

jayway23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I mean, how will you know if a certain process running on your computer is really needed? You know, because I don't know what kind of processes are running because they are like named "svchost.exe", "ctfmon.exe", "lsass.exe", "CDAC11BA.exe", etc. I think other processes that are running my computer are slowing it down.

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. :)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Yep, Google :)

All those you listed are required, except for maybe ctfmon.exe....I think that's some language related setting for Microsoft Office.

Feel free to ask in the Windows board what's needed or not to startup on your computer. Or you can post a HijackThis log here and we can look for it here.

jayway23

jayway23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok ok. Thanks for the advice greyknight17. I'll be back. I'll just research on those processes. Thank you for your time. :)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem. If you have no other questions/issues, I will mark this topic as solved.

jayway23

jayway23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I downloaded the Security Task Manager program. Unknown processes are easily provided with info. Thanks again. I have no more further questions... :)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.