Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect to the internet while router is turned off?

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi everyone,
Is there a method of getting internet access to my room when Ethernet plugs are far away from it and the wireless router is switched off?

The type of thing I was thinking is maybe using the bt homeplug (shares your connection over your mains electricity so you can use a plug socket as a sort of ethernet port). But the homeplug has to connect to a router so as soon as the router's turned off it doesn't work (I assume)!

Is what I'm asking for impossible?

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
You are correct in assuming that about the only way you're going to be able to get internet access is to use one of those bt plugs. I've never had any experience with it but hopefully it would work for you. May I ask why your wireless router is switched off?

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

You are correct in assuming that about the only way you're going to be able to get internet access is to use one of those bt plugs. I've never had any experience with it but hopefully it would work for you. May I ask why your wireless router is switched off?

Well our first wireless router overheated pretty easily and after leaving it on for 36hrs, the inside melted (!!). So now my parents are very paranoid and won't let it stay on at night (the perfect time to run downloads etc)

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Wow, I knew they could get warm, but I've never heard of one melting. What brand do you have and what is the temperature like in the room that it is stored in?

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Wow, I knew they could get warm, but I've never heard of one melting. What brand do you have and what is the temperature like in the room that it is stored in?

The one that melted was a netgear one, don't know which model. I think it was a white, 802.11b router (probably one of the more common netgear routers).
The one I have now is a thompson one I think (it came with Be* Unlimited broadband).
And the room is pretty cool. I think we were just unlucky.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I'm not familiar with that brand, but if you keep the room cool, it will not overheat. I personally run two wireless routers at home for great amounts of time and have never had any issues. If you're worried about it causing a fire, place it on a surface that doesn't burn easy and separate it out from any other equipment.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Routers are designed to be left on 24/7.
If your router melted after 36hrs, it was clearly not fit for purpose and you should have taken it back to where you bought it from and had it replaced.