Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Justin_Oak

Justin_Oak

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey,

I currently have a NVidia GeForce 8500 GT 512MB and am looking for an upgrade. For this not to be pointless please don't post something that is going to give me a 1% more performance. I Currently do play CoD4 and wishing to get the maximum performance for a low price. As I'm from Australia, IF you can post currency's in $AU or just post the card that you think would best fit this game.

Thanks! Justin :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Justin - it's good to see another Aussie on these boards!

Looking up the recommended system requirements for the CoD4 game, it lists:
CPU - 2.4GHz dual core
Memory - 1GB (2GB for Vista)
HDD Space - 8GB
GPU - GeForce 7800 or ATI X1800

So we can see that it's a fairly taxing game! What components do you currently have in your system? What PSU do you have? Upgrading your video card may well be a useless exercise at the moment, if your PSU does not have enough juice to support an upgrade.

That being said, it's also a point to know what resolution you game at? Are you wanting to have a card that will support setting the graphics on high?

Post some websites that you like to use for your computer parts, and we'll recommend off there.

And if you can, give us a budget that you'd like to work within. It's all very well to say "maximum performance for low money", but a budget will help us to define a few options for you.

Cheers

Troy

Justin_Oak

Justin_Oak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Good to see such a fast responce :)

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 2605 MHz
RAM: 2GB
Operating system: XP
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2
Graphics: NVidia GeForce 8500 GT 512MB

I wish to run settings on either medium with high FPS or High graphics but still get about 125-333 FPS.

Price range: $0-$500 ($AU)

I like to use www.umart.com.au to get some cheap prices for computer parts but any website that you feel is better or could also be handy would be good :).

If you need anymore just ask :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi again,

So you're looking for the best graphics card upgrade for under $500? I would be looking at this. For a little less money, though, this should still be a reasonable upgrade.

However, you haven't mentioned yet - what PSU you are using?

Cheers

Troy

Justin_Oak

Justin_Oak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
PSU being Power Supply??

How would I go about finding this out?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

To find out your PSU specifications, you'll need to unscrew the side of the case and post the specifications, which will be listed on a sticker on the side of the unit itself. If there is make/model information, list that also. Below is an example picture of what I need to know:

Posted Image

For this example, we can see the PSU is an Antec Earthwatts 380W. It has 2x +12V rails with 17A on each, and is 80Plus Certified (high efficiency).

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: Yes, PSU being Power Supply Unit.

Edited by troy, 10 April 2008 - 01:46 AM.

Justin_Oak

Justin_Oak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Troy. Unfortunaly I will be getting a new cae (including power supply) because I just blew it up trying to find out the wattage ect. I'm going to be looking at about a 500 watt to 600 watt.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Troy. Unfortunaly I will be getting a new cae (including power supply) because I just blew it up trying to find out the wattage ect. I'm going to be looking at about a 500 watt to 600 watt.

Hi there,

I don't understand how this could happen? Did you touch anything inside the case? Did you try and take the side off whilst the computer was still running?

There's no need to be getting a new case if only the PSU went. All you'd need to do is replace the PSU - hoping that it didn't surge and render any other parts faulty.

Troy

Justin_Oak

Justin_Oak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The rest of the computer is fine.

With this case for some reason the person that built the computer for me glued some of the wires to the from of the case for my thermometers and the power cords to the temperature screen at the front so there is no way in getting the old PSU out.

No I didn't touch anything inside the case or leave it on, I did te proper shut down. Turned off at the wall. Unplugged it then checked it. Plugged back in. Turn power on pressed start button and the lights on my back coloured fan went on for about a second then the whole system shut down and didn't turn back on.

The new case will be here on Saturday.

Thanks. Justin.