Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Program/Application

• Please log in to reply

Grummm

Grummm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I was cleaning up my brother's pc the other day and ran 'spybot search and destroy' and 'Ace utilities'. These ran fine and seemed to improve his system nicely, but whilst i was removing programs that he'd accidently deleted the uninstall files for (i used ace utilities i think) i noticed a program in his Add/remove programs list that i cannot identify. In that window the name is jibberish (see below) to me and you cannot remove/change. It also has no listed size. the program i was using found this info on it,

Name ¤ÓªÅ¾Ô¤h¤C¥N

Command sstunins.exe ¤ÓªÅ¾Ô¤h¤C¥N

Does anyone have any idea what it is? It claims to be a screensaver but i cannot find anything about it on google, the only instances of sstunins.exe is in reports i found on these forumn threads but it was not the topic of conversation.

I have a little knowledge with windows but not detailed enough to want to remove this and see what happens, i'd like to find out what it is before i interfere with it.

many thanks,

Grummm

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That appears to be a generic screensaver uninstaller for a non-western character set either Russian / Japanese / Chinese or something of that ilk

Grummm

Grummm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, so it's not a threat. However should something like this appear in the add/remove programs window? I presume as it genuinely looks like a screensaver unistaller it would be safe to remove it? (As far as i could tell my brother has nothing but the generic screensavers on his pc).

Many thanks for your input, i'm very grateful,

Grummm