Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repeated Crash in Win2K right after Login

• Please log in to reply

mike2008

mike2008

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am having trouble on a Win2K machine in that I installed a default driver (Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller) for hcd (hard disk controller) and now I cannot stay logged in (the machine reboots 1 second after the desktop begins being displayed). I can access the filesystem and update files, and disable processes and drivers using my Windows 2000 boot disk recovery console, but no version of safe mode or Last Good Configuration is working.
Using the type command in Win2k recovery console, I read the contents of setupapi.log and it appears that Windows may have had trouble installing the default driver:
The following is the end of that file (the recovery console doesn't let me copy files off the system, only onto it so I manually copied this using paper and pen):
Device install function: DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS.
Co-Installers Registered
Device install function: DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES.
Installing section pciide_inst.Interfaces from C:\WINNT\inf\mshdc.inf.
Interfaces installed.
Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICE.
Doing full install of Root\HDC\0000.
[2008/04/07 23:08:02 236.3 Driver Install]
Munged cmdline: C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
EXE name: C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
Searching for compatible ID(s): pci\cc_0101
Enumerating files C:\WINNT\inf\*.inf
Found PCI\CC_0101 in C:\WINNT\inf\mshdc.inf;
Device: Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller;
Driver: Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller;
Provider: Microsoft; Mfg: (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers); Section: pciide_Inst
Decorated section name: pciide_inst
Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
Selected driver installs from section pciide_inst in C:\WINNT\inf\mshdc.inf.
Changed class GUID of device to {4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Set selected driver.
Selected best compatible driver.
Device install function: DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES.
Doing copy-only install of ROOT\HDC\0000.

Some history:
I have a Pentium II 400MHz machine with Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard, two 128MB SRAM cards and two hard drives(ST34311A-(PM) and Maxtor 6E040L0-(PS)), both with Win2K Professional installations. The computer uses PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0. The ST34311A is the original hard drive for this machine which came with a 45x CD-Rom. After I had trouble with a different machine, it wouldn't boot up except to a BSoD (Inaccessible Boot Device) that would appear in the middle of the Windows2000 startup (no version of safe mode worked). Using Windows 2000 Boot Disk I got to the recovery console and tried fixboot and it made a new boot sector on the drive but it didn't help it boot up, so I moved the hard drive from it to be the slave of this machine's hard drive and disconnected the CD-Rom of this machine. The new configuration booted up fine and I was able to read the old hard drive. Everything ran fine for a few days so I decided to move the CD-RW from the other machine to this machine and reconnect the CD-Rom as slave of the CD-RW. I plugged the data cable into the motherboard's secondary IDE slot. Then the computer started up ok, but didn't show either the CD-Rom or the CD-RW in Windows, so I powered off and checked the cables. Powered back up and Windows detected a new device "hdc". I searched for a suitable driver and selected the default "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" since I wanted the Secondary IDE Channel to show up in System devices. After selecting it, the computer rebooted and went through startup, but as soon as it got past the Windows login screen and began displaying my desktop it crashed. It continually crashed right after just logging into Windows. I tried Last Good Configuration, but it didn't work. I entered the BIOS (F2) but changing it to only Primary IDE Channel configuration in the BIOS didn't affect the Win2K bootup so I restored it to "BOTH". I also disconnected the data cable from the CD-Rom and CD-RW but that didn't work either. So I put in my Windows2000 boot disk and I got to the recovery console. I can see the files on the hard drive and update them if need be or stop a driver/process but the driver I installed (Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller) doesn't appear so I'm now at a loss for what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Advertisements

mike2008

mike2008

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Having not gotten any reply, I took my machine to a computer repair shop. I told them I suspected it was a driver problem, but they thought it was hardware. After several days, they couldn't find any hardware problem so they recovered my data and reinstalled my OS. Problem fixed, but it cost me about $100 bucks for the data recovery/OS restore.

Mike

Edited by mike2008, 25 April 2008 - 05:31 PM.