Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Checking what people surf on a network

• Please log in to reply

patdied

patdied

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello

For my home router, is it possiable to check what other people surfed on the website. According to my co-workers, they said it is possable, the router can check who's computer has done what with ther internet. I'm just carious, mainly because of my banking account online.

Thanks for your time

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This depends entirely on the router you've got. Some of them you can, some of them you can't.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

I'm just carious, mainly because of my banking account online.

Does that mean your concerned about your 'safety' on the web?

Yes, this is possible. However I am not completely sure how.
I know an ISA Server can, but that would be a bit overkill in a home network.
I wouldn't know any other sollutions.

Edit: I am pretty sure there are other sollutions though!

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 10 April 2008 - 02:08 AM.

patdied

patdied

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, I'm concerned about safety. I'm currently renting an apartment because it is close to my university and I use the owners router. The they have a d-link router(model:DI-624).

Thanks for the replys

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
If you have a wired router then your pretty much safe as long as the firewall in the router is enabled.
If your using Wireless make sure you set up a WPA code for your wireless.

Regards,
Olrik

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hi there patdied,

Initially I thought you wanted to check what sites other people were going to. But now I'm guessing that you're concerned that other people will be able to see what you're surfing, am I correct? If I am, then I say that yes, people will definitely be able to find a way to know what sites you're going to. If they're good enough (hacking skills) and depending on the site your visiting, they can also "see" the information your sending out.

PostMark

PostMark

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ditrackster is right, with packet sniffing tools like edited and edited present, people can actually know to which sites you go to and what you send through the internet. Special tools like edited and edited doesn't help. You'll just have to fall back on the security measures of sites you go to, like, I'm sure online banking has very strong data encryption.

Edited by sari, 19 April 2008 - 05:17 AM.
Removed references and links to specific tools, some of which are specifically against the rules of this forum.