Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trojan Guarder has broken Firefox

• Please log in to reply

TigerSiberia

TigerSiberia

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

Have just installed Trojan Guarder Gold and when I ran it the first time it gave me a list of files it suggested delete. Like an idiot I did so and now my Firefox browser will not run and I also get an error when I try and run IE. The IE error is "Cannot run "Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"". However once I click ok on the error message it does run ok and the .exe file is still there.

I suspect a similar error has occurred with Firefox but this just doesn't run at all.

Ideas?

My 2 obvious ones were uninstall Trojan Guarder and/or re-install Firefox but I wondered if this was a known bug with an easy fix that would avoid me having to do this.

Thanks for any ideas,

TIM

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
never heard of the program...do they have a website with a support section.

Any program that blows away both browsers is somewhat suspect worries me

TigerSiberia

TigerSiberia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Agreed - not a clever thing for a piece of software to do!

Site is here: http://www.your-soft.com/ I've got the Gold Version.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nothing there, nor any similar reports, so perhaps it did it's job and blew away a trojan that had inserted itself in the ipstack...

do you have sp2
if so

start > run
netsh winsock reset
enter

fix?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
I did some research. they have a really good marketing person. they have managed to get thier program listed in every shareware, freeware, download site out there. You have to buy the program before it will clean other wise all it does is tell you you have one and thats all.

you can read this link on GTG about our recomended spyware and antivirus programs.

let us know if gerryf's fix works or not.

Starjax

TigerSiberia

TigerSiberia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your advice so far. I don't have SP2 on CD but I do keep my Windows up to date via the automatic updates feature.

Is there a specific patch/update I can download before I run the reset you suggest? Or should I just run "netsh winsock reset" as you suggest with my current system config?

TIM

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if you keep up to date, you have sp2....run the comand,yes

TigerSiberia

TigerSiberia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried the suggested fix:

start > run
netsh winsock reset
enter

It brings up a DOS box which is titled C:\windows\system32\netsh.exe
There's just a flashing cursor in the box. This quickly disappears.

This hasn't fixed the problem. Same errors as before.

TIM