Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

font distorting windows

• Please log in to reply

clarky23

clarky23

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm am having a problem with a system font and can't find the issue. Most windows are fine, but I have some that have the wrong font and is pushing information/settings outside of the window. I've attached a jpg of my printer window in Illustrator CS2. I've tried and tried finding the issue in the display properties/Appearance windows with no luck. Someone please advise.

Attached Thumbnails

• fontproblem.jpg
  • fontproblem.jpg

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try restoring default XP Fonts:

1. Make a folder C:\WINDOWS\FONTS.NEW
2. Open Command Prompt and go to the I386 folder of your Windows XP CD-ROM (or C: drive if there)
3. Type: expand -r *.tt_ C:\WINDOWS\FONTS.NEW
4. Type: expand -r *.fo_ C:\WINDOWS\FONTS.NEW
5. Type: expand DESKTOP.IN_ C:\WINDOWS\FONTS.NEW\DESKTOP.INI (this file makes the Fonts folder "special" with all the features).
6. Type: xcopy c:\windows\fonts\*.* c:\windows\fonts.new\ (Press the n key each time you get a
Overwrite D:\windows\fonts.new\xxxxxxx.xxx (Yes/No/All)? prompt).
7. Restart your computer into the Windows Recovery Console by booting with the Windows XP CD-ROM and pressing "R" in the Setup.
8. Go to C:\WINDOWS and type: ren FONTS FONTS.OLD
9. Type: ren FONTS.NEW FONTS

You're all set! Just restart your computer.

Got this from the last post in this thread: http://www.experts-e...Q_20533156.html. You don't have to join to see the responses, just scroll all the way down.

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ztruker,
Thanks for the help...however, after doing your instructions, I still have the same problem. Anymore sugggestions??

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
If you have dual monitors
upgrade your video cards

This can be done through windows update
custom, not express update

or you can go to your graphics card maker
and find updated drivers

And mainly this seems to be a printer problem.
Check your manufacturers website.

I've searched for this problem but nothing in particular.
All I had to go on was clp-510.

http://www.google.co...amp;btnG=Search

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I actually have this problem with other windows, I just used the Samsung printer because i knew it would show there. It is like it happened on windows that are "levels" down from other windows. I think it's in the displayappearance settings. Is there a way to reset the appearance settings to Windows XP default from the install CD?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Have you added any fonts to your system? Did you install or remove any software around the time this started happening?

clarky23

clarky23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I wish I could remember.....I lived with this for a while, and quite honestly cannot remember if I installed a program that would have caused this problem. I do remember messing with the appearance settings just to seee if I could make some differences. I have tried comparing the settings to another computer and the settings show the same. I really don't want to have to go with a system restore because of programs and other settings done that make work life easier.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
sorry to keep butting in Ztrucker,

What if clarky23 switched appearance to classic then back to XP?
You think that would help?

Then also there is TweakUI to repair fonts.

http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

Just an uneducated guess and it wouldn't hurt, I think.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please butt in! I'm fresh out of ideas. Yours sound like things to try.

My guess though is some program that has been installed is causing the font problem.