Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

recuperating/deleting files in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

shinyhalo

shinyhalo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i recently reformatted. i HAD Windows XP professional edition installed but it must have been a pirate copy cos it wouldnt let me update, ANYWAY i got a proper copy of Windows XP home editon and cos i couldnt start up my computer i managed to reinstall windows but with the home edition version. it asked me if i wanted to delete the old instalation and i said OK BUT when the new installation was complete i found that i had the same amount of hard drive full, it hadnt deleted all the files i had from the previous installation and now i cant seem to find them to either use them or delete them to get hard drive space back. Is there any software that i can use that will search for any files in my hard drive from this previous installation or a way of finding them with Windows XP?, i hope someone can help me please, thanks !! Ali

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
When you did a re-install of your PC. Did you also format your hard drive?
Are there still important documents on your computer? If yes, back them up.

Regards,
Olrik

shinyhalo

shinyhalo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

When you did a re-install of your PC. Did you also format your hard drive?
Are there still important documents on your computer? If yes, back them up.

Regards,
Olrik

just need to know if i can get to the files that are occupying disk space, i was asked to format and i clicked yes but it seems like the new windows was just added onto the data that was in the hard drive already.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well if you told it to format it then either it worked and all the other stuff is gone or it messed up and didn't reformat properly and you should probably redo it again and MAKE SURE you tell it to remove the old partition and then install to the empty space.. and if it asks format to ntfs full not quick...