Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

igfxtray.exe error - publisher could not be verified

• Please log in to reply

Optimus

Optimus

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Gday Folks, been a while since I logged in to Geeks to Go.

Now, I'm not sure if this is a windows problem of if there is a possibility it might be a malware.

I had a trojan virus in my XP laptop and I removed anything associated with it from the registry about 2 weeks ago, I cannot remember what it is called.

Now whenever I start-up my XP laptop, I get 4 error messages for each one of igfxtray.exe, igfxpers.exe, hkcmd.exe and AGRSMMSG.exe

I get "The Publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this application?"

I have to click yes 4 time everytime I start-up and it is really starting to annoy me.
I tried doing some registry scans and cleanup but didnt seem to do the trick.

Please help. :)
Thanx heaps.

Cheers

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Where you instructed to remove those things from the registery?
The Registry is a really fragile place and deleteing the wrong key can result in heavy errors.

Regards,
Olrik

Optimus

Optimus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Gday Artellos,

I know.. my bad, I should not have messed around with the registry.
All I did was to remove anything that sounded like the trojan.

Really sorry, I tried but i could not remember the name of the trojan, :)

Thanx.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Tip for future refrence:
If in doubt, do nothing.
Especially concerning the registry.

Did you make a backup before adjusting anything at all?

Regards,
Olrik

Optimus

Optimus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Unfortunately no.... No back-up done.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You could re-install the programs that are giving you error messages.
Once you reinstall them they will recreate the key and thus the program should work again.

AFTER you do that,
I Suggest you take your log to the malware doctors found in this forum.
Please make sure that you read this before posting anything in the malware forum.

If you're still having problems after the malware doctors declare your log clean feel free to post back here and we'll help you to the best of our knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik

Optimus

Optimus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Olrik,

How do I reinstall them?, I did a search in the windows directory in the laptop and and the exe files for all of them are still there.
Do I copy them from another PC's windows directory and paste them onto to the C drive windows on the laptop?
Will that work?

Sorry Im not too tech savvy.

theking2

theking2

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Now, I'm not sure if this is a windows problem of if there is a possibility it might be a malware.

I had a trojan virus in my XP laptop and I removed anything associated with it from the registry about 2 weeks ago, I cannot remember what it is called.

Now whenever I start-up my XP laptop, I get 4 error messages for each one of igfxtray.exe, igfxpers.exe, hkcmd.exe and AGRSMMSG.exe

I get "The Publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this application?"

I have to click yes 4 time everytime I start-up and it is really starting to annoy me.

Thanx heaps.

Cheers

Nothing to worry about. this is just Intel's onboard video driver that annoys vista (or vv.)
You will find the completely benevolent files under C:\Windows\System32 (where C: is wherever you've installed vista) Move the to the desktop right click hkcmd.exe and click unblock then move it back to where it belongs. Do this for all other culprits and you will not be bothered by these anymore.

theking2

Edited by theking2, 22 February 2009 - 03:33 PM.

rennfloh

rennfloh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Thanx heaps.

Cheers

Nothing to worry about. this is just Intel's onboard video driver that annoys vista (or vv.)
You will find the completely benevolent files under C:\Windows\System32 (where C: is wherever you've installed vista) Move the to the desktop right click hkcmd.exe and click unblock then move it back to where it belongs. Do this for all other culprits and you will not be bothered by these anymore.

theking2

It works!!! Thank you so much, king2, this terribly went on my nerves at least one year long!!!