Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Broke?

• Please log in to reply

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to patch up a PC of a colleague of my mother.
However I can't get anything up on the screen.
I suspect the PC might be damaged due to a lot of dust not being cleaned in the PC.
There was litterly a spider living in the case which laid an egg and there where like 100 dead little spiders in it.

My question. Is there any way to test the video card if it died or not?
The Video Card is NOT on-board but a seperate PCI card.

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Sure, use it in another computer! Plug it in, see if it works! If not, it's the video card, since it didn't work in two different systems. Of course, make sure the monitor is good too, by either bringing a different monitor or using that monitor on a good computer.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I used 2 diffrent Monitors. I'll try switching the video card.
Thanks The Admiral!

Regards,
Olrik

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
good luck!
As far as cleaning the eggs off, as long as there is now power, rubbing alcohol can work wonders!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I did the cleaning by brushing them off with a soft brush and vacuuming the eggs away :)
Thanks for the tip anyway! :)

Regards,
Olrik

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Olrik,

Just FYI, I would be careful with vacuuming any electronic part. Vacuums generate a whole lot of static electricity, which can obviously do a lot of damage to your components. A static shock that you can feel is about 4,000 volts, but it only takes about 400 (about) to damage an electrical component. I recommend the opposite of a vacuum - compressed air (or an actual air compressor).

Just one of those things you learn as part of your A+ certification....

Edited by The Admiral, 10 April 2008 - 08:35 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Oh I didn't touch any electric parts with the vacuum.
I used the brush to brush it into a corner where no electronic parts where then took the vacuum to get rid of it.

Regards,
Olrik

P.S. Still need to get a second pc to put the video card in. I'll do it this weekend as then my mom won't need her PC.