Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help my computer is slow!

• Please log in to reply

sweetdreams

sweetdreams

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,first of all i have to say that i have tried to use the site help my pc is slow,5 ways to speed up your pc i have done all except one and i think that faults.i had a problem with antivirus Nod32 i unistall it i install a newer version i unistall it and now i have AVG.But when i was going to install AVG it said to me that i have another antivirus on my pc but i had just unistall it from control panel please Help show me how to unistall completely any other antivirus/es and maybe a free way to speed up my pc it is for work and i need it really fast.

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
As far as the AV goes, open Documents and Settings>>'User Name'>>Local Settings>>Application Data and delete the ESET folder.

See if you can install AVG.

sweetdreams

sweetdreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok i have done this and now i have installed AVG.Thanks for that but the mostly needed is to find a free way to speed up my pc i need it for work don't give sites such as:5w ways to speed up my pc,Help!my computer is slow etc.

when i mean free i mean without need license or order it just download the program and install it

Thanks,

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Don't know of a program one can install that will speed up a PC. If there was such a program I'd be leary of the changes it was making to my system without my knowledge.

Most changes to a system to speed it up are operator initiated.

Have you disabled unneccessary services such as the Indexing Service?

For services to stop from auto startup check this out: (If you disable a service or set to manual start, be sure to stop the service also).

http://www.beemerwor.../servicesxp.htm

A good way to increase speed is to add more Ram.

Have you opened your PC (take the cover off) and looked to see if there is a lot of dust inside? Build up of dust can cause the cpu to overheat causing slowdowns. You can purchase compressed canned air at Walmart (rather inexpensive) to blow dust out of the cpu heatsink. See if the fans are not caked with dust. Clean dust off the motherboard.

I have uploaded a .zip file which if you right click on and select "Save target as" you can download it to your desktop, unzip and read info. supplied by "Tech Republic" on "10 ways to troubleshoot a slow PC".

Attached Files

sweetdreams

sweetdreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok i am going to clean it but how many times i should e.x one in a month?and thank you for the sites i haven't done anything yet when i do it i told you the results.

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

ok i am going to clean it but how many times i should e.x one in a month?

Just pulling off the cover and checking once a month wouldn't hurt. May not need actual cleaning that often. Depends on the environment the PC is in. As stated in my previous post, be sure to clean well the fans, intake and exhaust areas for the fans, the cpu heatsink, and the motherboard.

Also, if your PC is near a window, try not to let direct sunlight hit it. This too can heat up your PC causing slow downs.

Another good program to cleanup temp and junk files on your system is CCleaner (freeware).

Can be downloaded here: http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

Will be interested in hearing about the outcome. Was the download I posted of any help?

sweetdreams

sweetdreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok i have already downloaded CCleaner and i have to say that i find the reason from youtube i type (how speed up my pc)i watch one video and it went me to the files of temp with start>run>%temp% and i found 1376 files whose i deleted them. and now the only thing i need is a program to boost speed and now i ma talking to geeks staff.