Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet just stopped working

• Please log in to reply

eg4footbal

eg4footbal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
As of two nights ago, my internet just stopped working.

I have a home, password-enabled, wireless system. My computer shows that my connectivity is "excellent" at 54.0 mbps, but when I launch the web browser in Int. Explorer or Firefox, it keeps saying that it can't connect.

When I run the diagnositcs, everything checks out until it tries to establish an http connection, at which point the error occurs.

I've tried unplugging everything, powering down, renewing my IP address, doing an IP config, virus scan, system defrag, system restore, pluggin in directly to the router, and nothing has worked.

Network connections says that everything is enabled and connected to my network. It's not my router becuase my roommate's internet works fine. When I tried the system restore, the first few attempts failed to restore until I picked a restore date about two weeks earlier, but the problem still persists.

I haven't made any changes to my system, so I don't know what to do at this point. Any suggestions?

I have to post this at work, where I can't bring my laptop in for any diagnostic stuff, so if anyone has ideas that I can print out and take home, that would be great.

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I have had this problem on occasion. Have you tried calling your ISP?

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
If you have IE7 installed try this:

Tools>>Internet Options>>Security Tab

In Security tab click on "Reset all zones to default level" (provided it isn't grayed out).

If that doesn't help in Internet Options go to the 'Advanced' tab and click on 'Reset'. Reset will bring IE7 back to 'factory fresh' but you won't lose favorites. It will bring your home page and search back to MS default.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the ISP has no answer to your problem then try to use this link to repair tcp/ip.