Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with system files

• Please log in to reply

endstatus

endstatus

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hey people i've been recently mucking arround with my pc doing all the hacking of the system32 dll's to create custom menu's and over all editing the gui, and i seam to have damaged all the files as my shut down menu now looks like this: (see "unusual.jpg") i have backups of the shell32.dll and msgina.dll and explorer.exe but every time i try to put my replace the edited files with my backups it comes up with this: (see "error.jpg")

any help would be appreciated as im at a stump and dont know what too do :S.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• unusual.JPG
  • error.JPG

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Try replacing the backups while being in safe mode (if you didn't do this already)

Regards,
Olrik

endstatus

endstatus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks ill try it now

edit: okay i tryed it and didnt work. though i found a program called replacer, used it to replace the system files, it worked to some degree but the graphics are still missing. i've also noticed some wired black lines over some text, i think im going to use system restore to roll my system back to a previous date.

Edited by endstatus, 11 April 2008 - 04:46 AM.

endstatus

endstatus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay found the problem and its working nicely now.