Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic Updates in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi guys

I'm on Windows XP Service Pack 2, and I always do my updates when they appear.
However, I did one 2 days ago, and then when I restarted my machine every time I invoked Internet Explorer a message like "Windows has encountered an error and needs to close" appeared and explorer never started.

I did a system restore to last Sunday and all is now fine again. I've changed the settings so that it asks me before doing the updates now. But ever since, Windows has been trying to do the update, with the little yellow symbol in the system tray, and I keep saying "no", because I know it will mess up my computer.

Are there any suggestions what I should do about this?

Obviously I can't do this forever, as I could be missing out on important updates.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Which update is it?
Try installing the update, just to make sure that it is that update. If it is, you can just uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs control panel (by clicking "show updates" up in the top) and go on your merry way. You can also tell Windows Update not to tell you about that update again, then turn automatic updates back on.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Thanks Admiral. I'll try that over the weekend.

Cheers

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good luck! Let us know what happens!

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I ran the update, re-started my machine, and all was fine!!

It must have been some strange anomaly.

Thanks for your help anyway.

:)