Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing IP address....

• Please log in to reply

g33kgirl

g33kgirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Sounds like he is just trying to get an IP address so it looks like hes in the US. Probably trying to join some US-only site or something. Just use a proxy.

Advertisements

Angst

Angst

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Like the guy said, use a proxy. It will mask your real ip adress and replace it. If you want to use a proxy to play a game or something (i.e. Japanese MapleStory) Then use SoftVPN. I'm almost positive its legal.

Ereos

Ereos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
but the thing is i have absolutely NO IDEA ABOUT THE PROXY like how to change it
i had a look at a few programs
i just dont understand it....
like im a complete noob at this
like seriously NOOB at it

and yeah i was looking onto something along those basis of proxy
i just didnt know what it was or so

Edited by Ereos, 16 April 2008 - 06:43 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Ereos,

I need to clear up some information here.

Warcraft 3 Online i play in US East... nowadays people are being picky who they play with in US East and only play with people with the latency of US

and if you're not from US you are seen as you're always bound to drop, lag...etc

you know how people are picky in US servers they dont like to play with foreign people on online computer gaming

Changing your IP address will not change anything. You still live across the pond, and it will still take that long to travel. A proxy is like this: there is a game server in North Carolina, USA. You are located in Great Britain. For the game to talk to you, it sends little packets of information through a bunch of different servers to eventually get to you. A proxy is just a service that makes you look like you are located in New York instead of GB. The little packets still have to go from North Carolina to you, it just goes to New York, then New York sends you the packets. You will not be any faster. If there are people out there who care enough about playing with foreign people to look at the IP address of everybody they play with, they'll be able to look past a proxy anyways. We can certainly help you set up a proxy, I just want to make sure that you understand what is going on here.

Edited by The Admiral, 16 April 2008 - 07:46 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

If there are people out there who care enough about playing with foreign people to look at the IP address of everybody they play with, they'll be able to look past a proxy anyways.

i'm gonna agree here...if someone is running a game server and they've blocked "foreign" ip addresses...then they've probably also blocked proxied connections as well

Ereos

Ereos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yeah im looking for a proxy change
sorry for the noob moment

Im technically "not" looking for changing IP address
just a proxy so i can make myself appear as US instead of GB

i been learning from random sites
but it been no help really
which is why i need direct input
cos i tampered with my proxy instead i made my net not work and msn too lol
it took me a good deal of like 20mins to fix back

so yeah i just need a proxy change to make me appear as if im from US

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

I hate to push here, but why??
Angst recommended SoftVPN. I have never used a proxy, so you may want to wait for more input regarding that.

Angst

Angst

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
xD Looks like I'm the only one that has done this before? Well, with the games I play i.e. Japanese Maplestory, Soft VPN basically masks your IP address, but only serverside of the company that runs the game. Therefore, what you're doing is basically tricking the company into thinking you are where you are not.

http://www.mpcforum....ad.php?t=202768

See if that source if any help. I used it to connect to Japanese Maple Story. Just skip to the connection part.

Ereos

Ereos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I hate to push here, but why??
Angst recommended SoftVPN. I have never used a proxy, so you may want to wait for more input regarding that.

i have stated why so many times just read back...

thx Angst
i will look it up i post again if it doesnt work out to me or i make a bug