Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary Install Location

• Please log in to reply

wburrough

wburrough

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I beleive i have asked this question before but i cannot retrive my old topics anymore. perhaps they are to old.

anyway, i know there is a way to do this cause i have done it before. There is some string somewhere that i can change in order for windows to automatically install stuff to a different drive. For instance if i put a program in it would automatically want to put it on my F instead of my C. Can you tell me how i can accomplish this? Thanks alot for any help.

Advertisements

MichWasHere

MichWasHere

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hi wburrough :)

You can change the default location to install programs by editing a key in your registry. I wouldn't suggest playing in the registry though without having a good basic understanding of it and backing up the sections you are changing first.

Open your registry editor then navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion key, then change the ProgramFilesDir value to the location you want.