Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GeForce 8600 not working

• Please log in to reply

myrace

myrace

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just finished upgrading my computer, and everything works great except my new 8600 GT. I receive no signal from it through VGA or DVI. I went into the BIOS and made sure the first video device is the card in the PCI-e slot. I tried installing drivers for it from both the disk and the website, and both said it couldn't find drivers for my particular hardware.

Before I got it, I was under the impression that the card might need to be powered, but I found no PCI-e power slot on either the card or the motherboard. The card's fan is spinning, so it's at least not completely dead. Is there anything I'm missing? I really really hope it isn't dead.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds to me like its working since you can get into the BIOS.
if the card needed powering you'd have known about it long before now since they either beep like crazy or put up big red warning messages on the screen.
On the NVidia site there are different drivers for different versions of Windows - an XP 64-bit driver, for example, will not work on a 32-bit operating system. Likewise, XP drivers don't work on Vista, Vista drivers don't work on XP and 32-bit drivers may not work on 64-bit operating systems either.

myrace

myrace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was using the onboard to get into the BIOS, but nevermind, it's working now.

After a THIRD time reseating it, it came alive. Shoulda seen my face!