Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS attack

• Please log in to reply

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey all,

I was just wondering, when the article talks about changing the ip address:

"Second, change the name and IP address of your router. Your router does not have to have an internal address of 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. Change that to 192.168.2.1 or 10.0.0.100. Anything that will make an automated attack fail."

How do you change this, moreover, what are you allowed to change the octet to? I'm not too familiar with I.P. addresses. If there is any other info anyone can provide it would be most appriciated.

Thanks a bunch,

-Cheese

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://en.wikipedia....Private_network read that article to see what the approved private subnets are (basically 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, 172.16.xxx.xxx to 172.31.xxx.xxx, and 192.168.xxx.xxx)

to change the IP on your router you log in to your router's interface and change the LAN ip of the router (usually the WAN ip comes from your modem and it's often in the 10.0.0.0 range though sometimes it's in a range of public ip addresses depending on your ISP) changing the WAN ip address is usually not required...and can cause issues on some setups (though as long as you stay in the same range with the same subnet mask as the original you're usually ok changing the WAN ip)