Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Non-existent removable drive appears

• Please log in to reply

Narpstar

Narpstar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Maxtor OneTouch removable hard drive. I connected it up, and all was working fine. The hard drive was assigned the driver letter F. I then shut down the computer. The next time I started the computer, a message appeared as soon as Windows (vista) loaded saying "Please insert a disk into removable drive (F:)". I then entered My Computer and found that my new external hard drive had been assigned a new letter - G:, and there is still an "F: drive" icon which is not actually a drive (I double click the drive and the message "Please insert a disk into removable drive (F:)" appears.

This is causing me annoyance for a couple of reasons - 1, the message keeps appearing whenever I start the computer, access My Computer, and other various areas of my system, but also I had linked many programs to files on the new external hard drive which now don't function due to the drive letter being reassigned (e.g. iTunes won't load because it say "The folder "iTunes" cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the "Music" folder" [which is now on my external hard drive]).

Can anybody help me?

P.S. At some stage after I had connected my new external hard drive, I also connected and disconnected a flash drive... I think this may have had something to do with the problem.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The flash drive usually disappears after you unplug it but it will usually retain the same drive letter Windows gave it when you plugged it in first time round.

The extra drive can be caused by virtual CD software - such as Daemon Tools or Alchohol 120, etc.