Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow puter

• Please log in to reply

hippiemind

hippiemind

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have XP home and it is relly slow. I am at about 40% free space. I know there are files in there that I don't use or need. The problem is identification. How do I know what I do and don't need?

When I upgraded to XP it said to leave all the 98 alone. Do I really need these files? I do have my 98 and XP cd's if there is ever something I need.

What do you suggest to CLEAN UP THIS MESS?

Thanks in advance for your advice on this matter. :)

Hipster

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
run clean-up
download it from here

http://www.stevengou...o...9&Itemid=70

try doing a chkdsk /r

Start/run/chkdsk /r/click ok

notice the space between the k and the /

At the command prompt type the letter ypress enter
chkdsk cannot run at this time...another volume is using it
restart your computer....
then defragment your harddrive

start/run/dfrg.msc/click ok

click defragment.......

that should improve things

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I already have Cleanup and use it on a regular basis. I also ran checkdisk, and did a defrag.

To explain how slow I am running, From clicking on your icon on my desktop to getting here has taken 26 minutes. The only thing I have been running is solitaire (to keep me from hitting the computer.)

I use a wireless connection called Richochet which normally runs at 486.3 Kbps. My free space after the above actions is 13.9 GB out of 37.2 GB....Ram is somewhere around 500.

This is really crazy how slow things are moving...never has it been this bad in over 8 years. I am including a log file in case that helps you.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks again for the great help you folk have been.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
hippiemind,

This is not the forum for hijackthis logs. Please read this link and make sure you download the newest version of hijackthis - the one you used is older and will not be accepted in the malware forum. Once you're created a new log, please post it here with a complete description of your problem. I do know you have some questionable programs running on there, so I would like you to get a complete checkup. Once you are declared clean by a malware staff member, if you're still having problems please return to this thread for additional help.

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I have Cleanup and use it on a regular basis. I also ran chkdsk, and a defrag.

T give you an idea of how slow I am, from clicking on your icon on my desktop to get to this point has taken over 25 minutes. The only other thing running has been solitaire (to keep me from bringing out a gun)

After the above, I am showing free space of 13.9 GB of 37.2 GB. My connection is Richochet at 486.2 Kbps.

I am including a log in case that helps you.....PLEASE HELP

Thanks again in advance for anything you can do for me......Hipster

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
hippiemind,

I just edited your post to remove the hijackthis log and gave you instructions for posting in the Malware forum, and then you posted your log again. Please DO NOT post a hijackthis log in this forum - follow my directions above.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello hippiemind...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

hippiemind,

I just edited your post to remove the hijackthis log and gave you instructions for posting in the Malware forum, and then you posted your log again. Please DO NOT post a hijackthis log in this forum - follow my directions above.

Dear Sari.... When I tried to post the 1st time my progress bar got to 50% and then stopped. After 5 minutes waiting for a post confirmation I backed up and re=wrote the post. I did not realize I was posting twice, and in no way was I trying to annoy you. Quite the opposite, I am very thankful for the help from you and the others here at this site. The reason I included my log in the first place was that when I came here for help years ago, I was always asked to post my log. I did not know that there was a new place for that now....Sorry

Well, I did download the new hijack and entered my log about 12 hours ago. So far, no bites, so I guess we will now wait for that to be gone over.......thanks again

Edited by hippiemind, 15 April 2008 - 12:30 AM.

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hello hippiemind...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

wannabe1

I did as you asked, and here are the results: THANKS

Primary:......device 0.... ultra DMA mode 2.......Device 1.....pio only
Secondary...device 0.... ultra DMA mode 2.......Device 1.....Not Applicable

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on Primary IDE channel and choose "Uninstall"...accept the change.

Reboot and Windows will reinstall the channel and any devices assigned to it...you will then be asked to restart your machine...do so.

This will reset the Primary channel's Device 1 to DMA rather than the PIO (Programmed Input/Output) and should get you running normally again. Should the device fail to hold this setting, you may have a device that's failing.

Advertisements

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
How do I reboot? The last time I did that it was alt+ctrl+delete. tried that and nothing happened.....So, I went start/turn off computer/restart. Under Primary IDE nothing changed.

Edited by hippiemind, 15 April 2008 - 09:53 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
For device 1 in the Primary channel, is the Transfer Mode set to "DMA if available" (drop-down menu)?

You restarted correctly, by the way...

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I switched the (primary) transfer mode to DMA if Available from the drop down.

The (primary) Current Transfer Mode now reads (instead of PIO Only) Multi-Word DMA Mode 2

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And does the machine run a little faster?

hippiemind

hippiemind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Last night after doing the change it ran better, but is again slow this morning.