Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

9600gt X2 vs. 9800

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Would two 9600gt's be able to compete with a 9800? Do you think they would be able to play crysis maxed out @ 1280*1024?

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I assume you're talking about the 9800GTX correct? If that's the case, I don't think two 9600gt's would be able to compete with one 9800GTX.

Here's a review with the 9800GTX compared with other mid-high end cards here. They test it on Crysis at the resolution you have specified (as well as others) and it did fairly well with most of the setting maxed out, as long as you have anti-aliasing turned off.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't SLI two 9600GT, just get a single card setup. One 9600GT would be fine (assuming you don't want all the eye candy), if you wanted a little more power, then spend some additional money on the 8800GT, 8800GTS 512mb or 9800GTX. In all honesty, I think a single 9600GT would satisfy you're needs.
Remember, you need a SLI compatible motherboard if you wish to attempt SLI.
Lastly, what kind of PSU do you have?
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 April 2008 - 01:05 AM.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
ultra sli 600 watt psu and an xfx 680i mobo

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I wouldn't SLI anything on the PSU regardless of the load. That aside, at such a low resolution you're much better off getting a single high end card.
James