Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Make XP Look Like Vista

* * * * - 3 votes

• Please log in to reply

Nic_van_Dessel

Nic_van_Dessel

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Warning: This tutorial is recommended for advanced Windows users only.

Before we start with this amazing and exciting process I recommend you create a new System Restore Point and dellete any older ones. Do this by following the Instructions below:

* Right click My Computer > Properties
* Click the the tab System Restore and check the box next to Turn off System Restore on all drivers
* Click Apply and then Ok.
* Restart your computer
* Now right click My Computer > Properties
* Click the the tab System Restore and uncheck the box next to Turn off System Restore on all drivers
* Exit out of all open windows
* Go Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Create New Restore Point
* Name the restore point Before I made XP Look like Vista
* Once the Restore Point is created you might have to restarthttp://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Make-XP-Look-Like-Vista-t194571.html#
Cancel Edit

Now please download this Aero Cursor pack. Once you have downloaded it Unzip it to a temporary folder. To install please follow the instructions below:

* Open the folder containing the Aero Cursor
* Right click Install > Install
* Go to Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Mouse
* Click on the tab Pointers, click the drop down button and choose Aero Cursors (Alphablended)
* Click Apply and then Ok

Now you have the Vista cursors its time to get some nice Vista icons. Please download this Vista Theme by 1ruby1. To change the icons please follow the instructions below:

* Once you have downloaded it Unzip it to a temporary folder.
* Open the folder containing the Vista Icon pack
* Double click VIPv3 (icon pack) and follow the prompts
* Once complete restart your computer and you will have a hole new look to your computer.

Now that you have the vista icons lets change your theme.

* First download this file if your running service pack 1 or this file if your running service pack 2
* Now you need to download the Replacer(I recommend getting the stable version)
* Unzip the Replacer to your desktop. (Make sure you read the "readme" because it explains how to revert the changes made)
* Double click on the replacer file (replacer.cmd)
* Then it will ask you to drag and drop the original system file you want to replace.
* Go to the System32 folder and somewhere near the bottom you are going to see the uxtheme.dll file.
* Drag and drop it into the window.
* Note: your computer may have more than 1 uxtheme.dll file but usually the file that you computer is using is the one in the system32 folder. (usually the location for your Uxtheme.dll file is C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll)
* Press Enter
* Then it will ask you to drag the file you want to replace. Open the folder with the uxtheme.dll file you downloaded and drag and drop the file into replacer.
* Now it will ask you to confirm that you want to replace the files or not.
* Type Y and press enter.

Replacer will now swap your original file with the new one. Now restart your computer.

Now we are going to get a theme that is similar to Vista.

* Please download Vistab2 by BARJAVEL2
* Unzip the theme to to a temporary file
* Open the folder and double click the Windows Visual Style File
* Properties will open in the Appearance tab
* Click Apply and then Ok

Now your computer should look similar to Vista but everything will be in the same place as it was on XP and you didn't pay a cent. An alternative is you could download/buy WindowsBlinds and get themes of of there.

Thanks for reading and or doing this and I hope you like. Feel free to tell me what you think and if you like the change. If you don't like it you can restore your System with the System Restore Point we created at the very beginning.

Bye. :)

Adapted from:

Edited by sari, 25 April 2008 - 09:37 AM.

Advertisements

JuanE

JuanE

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, this is a great tutorial! But, like you said, it's not for beginners. It would be great if someone made a program to automatically perform all the modifications. I know there is one called XPize that actually does something very similar. It automatically performs all the modifications to XP's UI so that it looks totally different and cool. So, making one for Vista would be kind of like the same thing.
It's just and idea, but it would make it easier for the people who don't want to mess something up.
Great tutorial, though.

littlebigman

littlebigman

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi

Great guide, i have patched my uxtheme.dll already, and have a vista theme running, as well as the cursor pack :) .

The only part i am having trouble with is the icons. the link you gave for VIPv3 no longer works. I downloaded the file from another theme on deviantart (i think), however when i go to install it, the program asks me to restart in safe mode and switch off any antivirus or anti-spyware programs to make sure all the files are installed correctly (is that ok to do for this file?).

Would it be possible for you to direct me to the right file? the last thing i want to do is get any malware on my system!!

Thanks,
Dan

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Just a quick note to readers considering following this tutorial - this will add extra work to your computer, and will slow it down. Depending on the specifications of your computer, it may hardly make a difference, or it could really give a performance hit.

I run Vista - and I make it look like the original Windows Classic look. :) The reverse of this tutorial, to be sure, but it's about choosing performance over visual aesthetics.

Cheers

Troy

Nemesis

Nemesis

• PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Does this work with windows SP3? I've downloaded customed shells before and replaced it using a tool provided from Neowin and it worked back on SP2 but not SP3.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Although my suggestion is not identical to Vista, it does provide a "black" interface that is easy on the eyes.

It's called Royale Noir.
Download the file and save the zipped folder to a temporary location such as your desktop. To install it, simply Extract files to “C:\windows\resources\themes\royale noir”

Next, navigate your way through Windows Explorer so that you reach C:\windows\resources\themes\royale noir

Double click on “luna.msstyles”

Select “Noir” from “Color Scheme”

This does not seem to slow down the computer at all, and it looks pretty cool.

Like I said, it's not Vista, but it has that nice black effect.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
nice..... I like the Royale Noir look :)

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Vista Ultimate Look-alike for XP

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thanks i like this. :)

Edited by tyler kick you fase, 12 May 2009 - 09:58 PM.

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
error (canceling out)

Edited by tyler kick you fase, 11 May 2009 - 07:10 PM.

Advertisements

AusFeathers

AusFeathers

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Hey, this is a great tutorial! But, like you said, it's not for beginners. It would be great if someone made a program to automatically perform all the modifications. I know there is one called XPize that actually does something very similar. It automatically performs all the modifications to XP's UI so that it looks totally different and cool. So, making one for Vista would be kind of like the same thing.
It's just and idea, but it would make it easier for the people who don't want to mess something up.
Great tutorial, though.

I'm running a Vista lookalike called 'Vistamizer', and it self installs. I'm quite happy with it.

http://www.softpedia...istaMizer.shtml

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Problem is, AusFeathers, is that the owner's software cannot be verified as good or bad unless downloaded and malware tested. I looked for the owner's website, and it led me to a web hosting site instead. :)

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
dragon master, i used your tutorial because this one did not work out and yours worked out fine until my avira antivir started freaking out that there was a Trojan on my pc. I’m currently getting help to see if there was a hidden Trojan in it. please remove the link now so it can’t cause further harm.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
I just tested all of those files with MalwareBytes' Anti-malware, and it did not find anything wrong.

Patching the UXTheme was probably what set it off. In Avira Antivir, they detect a pretty good amount of false positives.

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
yea indeed it was dragon master, i was just startled like crazy :)

sorry about that :)

Edited by tyler kick you fase, 13 May 2009 - 05:25 PM.