Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing linux after BIOS update

• Please log in to reply

sugantha

sugantha

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi...I am trying to install Fedora 8 from a live cd in my newly configured PC which is working good with Windows XP.
My Configuration is as follows..
Motherboard: M2N-MX SE
Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 DualCore Processor 4000+
RAM : 2GB
When I insert the fedora live CD...I get the following error

MP-BIOS bug:8254 timer no connected to IO-APIC
kernel panic not syncing:IO-APIC+timer does'nt work! Boot with apic=debug and send a report then try to boot with 'noapic' option.

I googled and decided to update my BIOS,So I used the ASUSUPDATE application that comes along with the driver cd.My old BIOS version was '0308' and the one that I updated to is '0406'. The BIOS update ran fine and I can see the new version '0406' listed in the System information window...yet when I try to boot the live cd I get the same error. I have tried booting with the 'noapic' option set and it works with poor performance. I am looking for a permanent solution to this problem...Is there any particular BIOS version that provides for linux compatibility. Any help and pointers will be much appreciated...Thanks in advance..

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
sugantha

Try the following options:

noapic nolapic

See if this helps.

Also, check out:

http://www.linuxques...12/#post3068449

sugantha

sugantha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello John Hook,
That worked really well...Thank you very much.My system is now dual booting.Although I was a little bit edgy when the partitioning stage came since this is the first time I am doing a custom partitioning layout it all worked amazingly well... :)