Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble with GFX card!

• Please log in to reply

redie

redie

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello geekstogo!
My first post here :)
Right to the point...
I got a geforce 6600 gt (club 3d), and I have used it for the last 5 years atleast!
Ever since I got it, though I didn't notice it in the same way back then because I had no insight into the subject, my GFX card has been troubeling me!
I have spent so many hours googling any solutions and come up short every single time!
When I browse the net, or scroll a folder in explorer, or some other random clicking of an icon on the desktop, it can happen that I get artefacts all over the screen or just centered around the thing I interacted with. It looks pixelated or how to describe it. So gif animations on the net pixels totally, and sometimes it f*cks up the entire screen. Same could happen to the scroll bar if I scrolled that... Or an icon. I hope you get it:)
My monitor "clicks", turns black. and the little "power lamp" goes orange, from green "ON MODE", and then saps back into green and I can see the screen again. Just before this happens, the screen freezes and I get those artefacts/pixelations... So when the monitor "clicks" and turns black and then comes back again to "ON MODE" the artefacts are usually gone.
This happens quite often... 20 times a day if I "interact"; scrolling, or viewing sites with gifs or such.
It happens too in Warcraft 3 TFT, but it NEVER happend in Starcraft Brood War. Neither does it happen in Heroes V or Civilization IV.
That makes me wonder... The GFX can work properly in some relations, and others almost guarentee that at some point it will freeze the screen. Sometimes it seems "too much" for the computer to handle and it reboots! I have gotten the same error message everytime; "nv4_disp.dll (i believe) made an error blah blah blah"
What I have found via google is that it makes some sort of "infinite loop" and the symtoms of this are alot similar to what I am experciencing with my computer, although i rarely get BSOD, computer just reboots instead I guess.... I have tried a so called "nv4loopfix.exe" or some shLt, never worked... I have also tried many many drivers, but to no avail... I am really frustrated, I have ignored for so long but now it finally bothers me so much that I WANT it fixed.. I cannot afford a new GFX as I am studying, and I guess you would believe that would have just bought a new card for whatever 100 USD and fixed this forever...
I believe the card is not faulty as it can run certain applications on MAX details and I have no problems whatsoever, and then other simple tasks makes it fuvk up entirely... LONG TALK sorry, but now I hope I covered most of what you may want to know, if you have the skill to help me out here.

Many thanks, looking forward to any reply!
redie

Advertisements

redie

redie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
If any of you would think this is the wrong place to post this, I would greatly appreciate any directions on where to go and look for help on such a topic.
Thanks

redie

redie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no comments at all?

redie

redie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts