Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mobo and sata drivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have to use F6 to install SATA drivers when installing xp on this mobo... ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI-AP on a SATA II hard drive...
the reason I ask is this is for a client that is going to build their own computer...they live in another state...I will talk them thru the build and tweak everything after they get xp on and crossloop installed so I can connect remotely ...

Edited by happyrck, 12 April 2008 - 07:16 AM.

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
happyrck,

I've been trying to download the drivers, etc for this motherboard - but unfortunately ASUS has overloaded server that are likely located somewhere in some other country.

http://usa.asus.com/...;searchkey=P5K3

I've been trying to click on "Download" on this page but keep getting problems connecting to the server.

Alternately, you can try ASUS's FTP site:

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/

The motherboard drivers/BIOS/etc should be located in the /mb folder. Unfortunately - there's not good documentation on the FTP site as to WHICH motherboard / files you need to download for the specific model.

Perhaps you'll have better luck access these files via ASUS's http site tha I did.

I'm thinking, based on many of the posts I've read here that downloading the MB specific BIOS updates and SATA drivers from ASUS's site might be your best bet.

Hope this helps.

- John

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
happyrck,

One more thing. I've bought a LOT of ASUS motherboards and they ALWAYS come with a CD-ROM containing drivers, utilities, updates, etc. If you're unable to find the files for this MB on ASUS's support site or ftp site - you'll probably find workable files on the cd that ships with the motherboard.

Hope this helps.

- John

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
most of my builds are with asus boards...so I know they come with a driver cd...some mobo will install xp to a sata drive without having to use F6 and a floppy to be able to install the os...just wanting to know if this board will do that or not...the ASUS P5K3 DELUXE/WIFI

Edited by happyrck, 13 April 2008 - 07:36 AM.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
happyrck,

All of the SATA drivers I'm seeing out there for the P5K3 Deluxe appear to be for RAID. If you're not going to setup RAID, you should be able to use this motherboard WITHOUT having to use F6 to install Windows.

I would still make sure the MB is flashed with the most recent BIOS. I also found a long list of FAQs specific to this motherboard at:

http://support.asus......l=P5K3 Deluxe

Hope this helps.

- John

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Happyrick, i just built a BTX computer that needed SATA drivers and had no connector to use a floppy drive. What i did was to use Nlite to incorporate the SATA drivers into the OS copy i made on another computer. With N-lite i made the OS into a bootable ISO at the same time i incorporated the drivers. I then used ISO Burner to burn a Cd of the system and installed XP SP2 with the drivers on the BTX computer.

Heres the tutorial

http://news.softpedi...-F6-47807.shtml

SRX660

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to SRX660 I am aware of slipstreaming the os with the drivers...but this is for a client that lives about a thousand miles from me and they are going to build the computer themselves with a little coaching from me and then AFTER they get the OS installed I will connect using crossloop and tweak the system and install everything for them...
BTW its rock..not rick

to John Hook... thats what I'm hoping for...want this to be as painless as possible for them...
I already went thru the FAQ section..also downloaded the manual for the board..it make no mention at all about using F6 or anything related...just install OS

I had hoped that someone had actually used this board and had first hand knowledge

Edited by happyrck, 14 April 2008 - 07:11 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
UPDATE...they got it put together and xp went on without having to do the F6 to let windows "see" the SATA II drives..
did have to flash the bios for it to use the E8400 properly though..I did it for them remotely using Asus's live updater..
pretty painless though...