Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Keep Rebooting

• Please log in to reply

adeline

adeline

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Please help.. I tried to start my computer today but it keep on rebooting me.. I dunno what is wrong as the computer is still working fine yesterday. I finally get to windows mode now after some time from pressing f8.. otherwise it would have hang on the welcome screen then it reboot itself.. or that the blue screen would come up and do a scanning on the fat32 but it it will jus reboot halfway before the scan. I did a system restore today in safe mode but looks like the problem is still not solved yet. I got this error at my desktop.

ARGH can anyone please help to solve this? Thanks :)

Posted Image

Advertisements

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi ... Click on the the website below and see if it can help . What service pack are you using ?

http://www.aumha.org.../a/shtdwnxp.htm

Edited by snooker, 12 April 2008 - 09:58 AM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Will Windows run when you exit out of the error message shown in your attached screenshot?

If it will, try running the 'error checking tool':

1. Open 'My Computer'
2. Right-click the drive C: icon.
3. Choose 'Properties'
4. Click the 'Tools' tab then click "Check Now"
5. Tick both tick-boxes
6. Click "Start"
7. Answer 'Yes' to allow the disk-check at the next re-start, then re-start.

This won't fix faulty hardware if that's the cause, but it will fix errors in the data and filing system so it's worth a try.

I notice you referred to the PC "scanning the FAT32" which indicates to me that the Windows partition (drive C:) is FAT32 and not NTFS.
If that's true, you should ideally convert partition C: to NTFS which is by far the most common filing system for Windows XP as it's more stable than FAT32. If you get Windows running normally again I'd be happy to explain how to do this. It's very simple and XP already has the ability to convert without buying or using any other software.

adeline

adeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
To snooker: I'm using Windows Xp Home edition service pack 2. Oh yeah i tried to shut down but it reboot me instead :)

To pip22: Yes windows will still run as per normal after i clicked "Don't send that error message" One thing i noticed is that for some reason my C Drive space is decreasing.. It was like 3 or 4Gb earlier now its reduced to 200mb :) I found out that my C drive has five new hidden folders called "FOUND.001" to "FOUND.005" and each folder is about 382mb.. Is it ok to delete it away? I did the 'error checking tool' but i havent restart my com yet. Should i? LOL maybe i cant get back to windows after that :) I read somewhere that converting fat32 to NTFS have the potential to damage the system?

I'm a dummy to computers... I have the windows xp installation cd with me here... is it not necessary to do recovery console all these stuffs? Uh.. really got no clue :)

Edited by adeline, 12 April 2008 - 11:04 AM.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
How old is your computer ? Your hard drive might be on its way out ( die ) Those found are from system scans ...

adeline

adeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
My computer is quite old.. prolly abt 5 or 6 years if i'm not mistaken..

Send for repairs several times... Last time my F drive used to be my C drive.. and my D drive used to be my C Drive. Now i had four harddrives in my com.. :)

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I think you mean your hard drive has 4 partitions , not 4 separate hard drives . Try this and see whether next if you see the blue screen error

Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: >>> Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

Is this comp a custom build or brand name ( Dell , HP or Compaq ) ?

Edited by snooker, 12 April 2008 - 01:41 PM.

adeline

adeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
..... and i used to think theres four hard drives.. :)

I tried that step this afternoon when i did some googling.. and i kept getting the blue screen error saying there's a problem and windows could not continue so i went back to safe mode to check the box again, only then i could log in to windows now.

It's custom build i guess? As i remembered i used to have this mini cpu casing until i changed it to my brother's compaq casing, only then i could have more diskspace i think.

Edited by adeline, 12 April 2008 - 01:47 PM.

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

..... and i used to think theres four hard drives.. :)

To know for sure ? Open your PC and look to see how many drives you have . Without knowing your hardware error I would have to guess its your hard drive but it can be somethign else to . Though if I was you I would go buy the cheapest ( smallest ) new hard drive and reinstall windows . If you do decide to go this way ? I would only have the one hard drive connected to the computer. Afterward once Windows is install and there no errors , I would make the old drive as slave . Copy everything that you need unto your new drive . Just make sure to install windows this time around NTFS .

I think most places nowadays sell new drives for around $40 to $ 50 which would be either 60 or 80 gb ... And make sure you know which type of HDD it is on your computer ( 3.5 ide / sata )

Edited by snooker, 12 April 2008 - 02:21 PM.

adeline

adeline

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Wow strange enough.. today i start up my com, its normal booting up, i didnt get any errors at all.. Computer gone cranky? :) My pc has two drives inside.. i'm thinking of getting external harddisk since i think there isn't enough space anymore to put any more new drives??