Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Owner Died!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi folks. Have a strange circumstance here. A family friend just passed away suddenley and all their tax info, ect.. is on the deceased's computer. Problem is that she was the admin and had it password protected so now noone can finish her taxes or obtain any other important documents.

My question is how do we get in. Is there a program or some dark secret to obtaining the password or bypassing the password? I am being sincere in my problem here and would really appreciate any help. OS is XP Home.

Thanks

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
First I would make sure that it is legally permissible to do that, the family may need to talk to a lawyer to make sure that they can have legal access to the machine.

You can use a Linux liveCD to access the files on a Windows disk and you can copy them to a CD or a fat32 partitioned hard disk, such as an attached USB drive, or a USB flash drive, which you can buy for around $20 now. Knoppix Linux is very good for this but an even smaller version is Nimblex. You simply download the .iso file and burn it to a CD as an image and boot from it.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Sorry daddy we can't help you get around a password, no matter what the reasons. It is against the rules here.