Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various problems

• Please log in to reply

MJRevell

MJRevell

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hey guys,

Essentially, I've just started to have a number of problems with my laptop, and if any of you can help in any way it would be much appreciated.

First of all it started freezing randomly. Sometimes this was through browsing the web, sometimes simply moving through folders on the desktop. When it froze, I could do nothing to turn it off other than pull out the battery. Sometimes If I clicked Ctrl+Alt+Delete, it would eventuall unfreeze... but would only freeze again a little while later. Other times, it just remains frozen.

Now, having pulled the battery out a few times, when I turn it on the screen remains black - though it definitely powers up. Occasionally I can close it, triggering Hibernate, and when I open it again it powers up and lights up as normal - but even so it always freezes again.

I realise this is probably a bit on the vague side, but if you have any suggetions or further questions, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

Advertisements

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
If you don't get any assistance here ? Have a look at this site for laptops , though you should also add your spec , how often you use it , what type of anti softwares you use . If I had to guess probably needs a cleaning inside but that just a guess .

http://www.notebookforums.com/?index

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the link.

If it's any help, the computer is a 1.6 Ghz 60 GB Toshiba. I've had it for 3 years, and use it almost every day. Ater looking into it more, it's not "freezing" completely - just slowing right down. If you leave it for 5 minutes or so, it is useable again but will freeze as soon as you click something else.

kimimaro

kimimaro

• Pip
  • 4 posts
does your laptop's fan's run when it freezes ? any noise?

it can be a lot of things... you say you use it a lot and had it for a while, do you move your laptop around much while it's turned on? a little scratch on a hard disk can do this type of thing very easily among other things. look for any drivers that are in need of an update, or are broken(missing... )

any virus scanning? did you play a little in your registry editor? i need a little more information...

ooh yah!! when did you first see this sort of thing start happening. any new installs? windows updates?

sometimes you just need a clean reformat for your computer...

Edited by kimimaro, 13 April 2008 - 08:29 AM.

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the help!

I'm afraid I'm a little ignorant when it comes to this type of thing... how would I go about checking the drivers? What's the registry editor? Although I have moved it around on occasion when it's turned on.

It just started happening three days ago... and I'm not sure what exactly could be the problem. I've received an automatic Windows update which prompted me to restart the computer... I have used it on the train ... but apart from that I can't think. I ran Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy last night, and in total destroyed over 200 objects :) - after this it worked fine for a little while, but then to finish the night froze again.

I'll go and check to see if the fan works when the freezing occurs.

Thanks again for your help.

EDIT: Yep, the fan is still on when it freezes.

Edited by MJRevell, 14 April 2008 - 04:52 AM.

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Another note: after pulling out the battery, and re-booting the computer, the screen turns black with white writing listing the spec and other checks... at the bottom of the screen, it says

WARNING
0251: System CMOS checksum bad

Any chance this has something to do with it?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
http://www.smartcomp...p;ErrorID=26143

That's some info on your problem.

You might just be able to go into bios by pressing f1 or f2 or delete to enter the bios or what may be called setup.

If the time is not correct, you need a new battery.
Not the big one that you charge.
But there is a small battery in the computer to keep your bios settings active.

If this is the case, take it to a computer repair place.
Usually the smaller shops will do a better job then the big chain stores.

-

Your freezing problem might be related or not.

Go here to run these programs and start a thread in the malware forum.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for the help. I've run through the sticky, and posted in the required forum... and for a while, it seemed as though the steps of the sticky had fixed the problem, but then it came back. Hopefully someone will be able to use the log to help me, but I'll keep posting here for help from you kind posters as well if you don't mind.

I have an update to the problem. It's certainly looking better at the moment, but it's on and off. A few moments ago browsing the internet in internet explorer made me experience the slowdown after every link I clicked. It wouldn't open the link for 5 minutes - but if I simply lifted the laptop up and swayed it from side to side, it suddenly worked, and did so over and over again.

I then saw this thread:

http://www.geekstogo...er-t194553.html

And have followed some of the advice on there, up until the defragmentation of the hard drive - and apparently there is only 9% space left on my compueter. Could this be the problem?

I'm using Firefox now, and everything seems to be running smoothly (touch wood.) I don't think it was just IE though, because the slowdown occured on Firefox as well earlier in the day...

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Apologies for the continued replies, but as I find new information I thougth I should post it, in case it provides any more help for you all.

In the Task Manager, a lot of the time when the screen slows to a freeze, the CPU usage is 100%. The "woft tha laptop around" trick works every time it slows down to a stop... no idea why. And also, I can apparently use Firefox without too much slowdown, whereas it happens after every click with Internet Explorer - could this be because Mozilla uses less of the memory to run than IE does?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

and apparently there is only 9% space left on my computer. Could this be the problem?

yep...
go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

next ...right click on my computer...properties..system restore tab...put a check in turn off system restore..
then..right click on my computer...properties..system restore tab...uncheck turn off system restore...
click start...all programs...accessories...system tools...system restore...put a tick in create restore point...next...
name it before clean up...ok

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running..

Edited by happyrck, 14 April 2008 - 07:25 PM.

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for all your help, happy! So far, everything is running smoothly (fingers crossed.) It's freed up to 25% of the computer now, which certainly sounds better than 9!

If I run into any more trouble, I'll reply.

Thanks again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
MJRevell,

Having read this thread, I looked at your hijackthis log, and I have replied in that thread. You have some signs of infection in there that should be taken care of as well. I'll wait for your response in that thread.

sari

MJRevell

MJRevell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hmm.. it lasted a good few hours, but now the slowdown is back :)

I first noticed it after going on youtube... I needed to install Flash to watch a video, and immediately after doing so it started slowing down again. I don't know whether this would cause it, or whether it would have happened anyway...

Thanks sari, I'll head over to the other thread.