Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired Network Logon

• Please log in to reply

Antilles

Antilles

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Off and on for several years I have been trying to limit the access to my computer at LAN parties and other events that I'm taking my computer to. When I'm on the network all of my shared files are available to anyone. This hasn't been a terribly big deal to me, but recently it is becoming more of an issue. Especially when they're taking data off of my primary drive when I'm in the middle of a game.

I'm looking for a logon & password option for the network. Any help would be appreciated, or if this question has already been answered and I just missed it please send me a link.

-Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Use a firewall such as ZoneAlarm and set it to the highest level possible and create exceptions to allow through what you want.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Antilles,

I complete agree with Neil about using firewall protection. With a firewall, you can completely BLOCK any and all TCP/UDP ports which Windows users to advertise and share files over.

I would also suggest that If your PC's hard drive is formatted with the NTFS filesystem, that you assign NTFS permissions to your files - which will restrict access to those files to ONLY those with a valid userid/password on your PC.

For more information on configuring NTFS file permissions, check out:

http://support.micro...kb/308419/en-us

Hope this helps.

- John