Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Desktop/No desktop after loging on

• Please log in to reply

The Coffee Lady

The Coffee Lady

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) Everytime I restart my computer it gets all the way to the desktop/background and then nothing.

I found out that it is explorer but have no idea what to do about it. I can get to explorere by clicking on Ctrl+Alt+del, click run and put in explorer and everything shows up.

I have not to long ago got my computer back and now this. I ran, hijackthis, so have copy, also have an all specks from computer.

I ran PC Optimize2, I ran Easy Clean up, defragged, and did all the clean I know how and still have no desktop.

Can someone please help me

Advertisements

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
how did you do all that and not have desktop? what is happening? does the computer work and not have icons or what?

The Coffee Lady

The Coffee Lady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Once the desktop comes up, I click on Ctrl+Alt+del and it brings up the Windows task manager, I then click on file, New task (Run), type in explorer and explorere comes up.

The Coffee Lady

The Coffee Lady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:) I found the answer to my problem. Registry Edits for Windows XP

Now I have more, when the computer starts windows/systems32 comes up like it is in the start menu or something and I can't find out why and where to get rid of it doing that.

I also have a extra hard drive, for back-up but when I restart the computer, it won't show up.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
that's blurry to me...what do you mean by windows/system32? where does it say this, when, and does the computer boot to desktop or not?

The Coffee Lady

The Coffee Lady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
:)
THAT PROBLEM IS FIXED
I found the answer/fix to that problem and gave the link where I found the information, now I have new problems.

:)
1. THIS IS A NEW PROBLEM
when the computer starts and everything loads, C:/windows/systems32 file folder comes up like it is in the start menu or something and I can't find out why this is coming up and how to stop it from doing that.

2. THIS IS A NEW PROBLEM
I have a extra hard drive, for back-up but when I restart the computer, it won't show up.

harshal

harshal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found a fix, want to share it. Note, the key characteristic of my problem was:
No desktop, because...
c:\windows\explorer.exe would not run

It is visible from the command window, via browse, etc
It cannot be moved, renamed, or executed, by any utility

All I did was delete the registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options\explorer.exe

The exact procedure (note, you can do this even though there is no desktop)

1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.

That was all it took! I did this on a Vista system. The "Windows NT" entry in the registry is correct, even though it is a Vista computer. Note that these instructions were posted in 2005, two years before Vista was released, but they worked for me.

Now I'll be doing a thorough Virus/Spyware/Malware cleanup.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
While this fix has been shown to be effective on Windows XP and somewhat effective on Vista, NEVER edit the registry without backing up the registry before making the edit.

ERUNT is very effective for this.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
For problem #1:
Go here: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=170086
Or here: http://www.kellys-ko...stem32opens.vbs
Save that file as a (.vbs) script. Then run it to fix your problem.