Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

about:blank

• Please log in to reply

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I have my settings a little different than yours

Posted Image

Advertisements

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Do you think the tab settings would matter?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
They might...did you try setting the last one to the way mine is?

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I tried it. No luck. (I didn't even have tabs on, before)

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Since this is not a malware problem according to Octagonal, can you still help me with this? Or is someone else going to?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Here are a couple of good tutorials:

http://www.ie-vista.com/tabs.html

http://www.vistax64....d-browsing.html

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I know how to use tab browsing. My problem is not related to whether I use tab browsing.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Okay, I'm at a loss then. :)

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Where do I go from here? Is there someone else here who could know?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello thanx4urhelp...

The way your tabs are working are the way they are designed to work. You can set them to open with your homepage, with "about:Tabs", or with "about:blank". To open a link from one tab into another tab, right click on the link and choose "Open in New Tab". It works the same way in Firefox.

The way Jacee has her settings is the way you should have yours set up for the best operation.

wannabe1

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Just as an off chance, let's see if this reg fix will work:

Copy and paste the following BOLDED text to Notepad. Save as *All Files* and name it Fixthis.reg.
Save it on your desktop.
Make sure there is no empty line above REGEDIT4. Then double click on Fixthis.reg and click yes to let it merge with the registry

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Window_Placement"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser]
"ITBarLayout"=-

Reboot/restart your computer and tell me if you're still seeing the About:Blank, blank page

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Jacee,

I tried the registry step and rebooted.
Now I am noticing, that with Tabs enabled, I don't have that problem. But I believe I did (with Tabs enabled) until now.
But I still have the problem if I don't have Tabs enabled. Previously, I was able to have it disabled without the about:blank problem. (I prefer to have my Tabs disabled.) Is this a setting issue or is it a type of virus? octagonal said it wasn't a malware issue, could it still be a virus?

wannabee,

What happens is when I click a link; it doesn't just open a blank page, it steals the previously opened brower. So, if I have a window open, then I open another and click a link from the 2nd window, the new page (that I'm linking to), shows up in the first window, so I lose that webpage.

Example:

My 1st window is opened to "Geeks to Go".
Then I open another window, where I click a link to "Yahoo Weather".
A 3rd window pops open. It doesn't have my regular toolbars and in the address window, it says "about:blank", it's useless and annoying.
At the same time, it steals the first window, and I therefore lose the "Geeks to Go" webpage, which is replaced with "Yahoo Weather" instead of appearing in the 2nd or 3rd window, (which of course would be dependent on whether or not my setting would say, "open links in new window")

Edited by thanx4urhelp, 24 April 2008 - 01:42 AM.

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Someone suggested to me, that it might still be Microsoft Word because even though it doesn't happen just from my homepage, that the about:blank transfers, so it seems like it happens from other ones.

So, it seems that making the webpage from Microsoft Word is the problem. Is there a way to fix that?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
if your symptoms only occur after opening your site, that points to the web site code.

it could be a Word thing - it may be breaking up javascript lines.

here are some options:
1. open each file in notepad and look for javascript code that spans over one line before you see the semi colon.
2. see if word has capitalized any text in the files
3. attach your files here(in a zip file) and let some of the web people here look at the code

thanx4urhelp

thanx4urhelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
It has capitalized text, but no semi colon problems. What does that mean?

Edited by thanx4urhelp, 28 April 2008 - 02:31 PM.