Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

updating BIOS (nForce 650i Ultra)

• Please log in to reply

abichan

abichan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello guys, I had a question regarding this new motherboard I have purchased, as the tittle implies, I need a BIOS update, I already have the BIOS downloaded and all, and get all the procedures in order to update without error, but there is one direction I do not understand, which is "clear the CMOS" How can I do this with this motherboard? Could someone please help me out, thanks a lot in advance, I reallly appreciate it.

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
abichan,

When flashing a motherboard with new BIOS, clearing the CMOS basically means that the flash BIOS upgrade is going to wipe out any custom settings you previously may have configured in the BIOS setup. Generally, this is NOT anything to be concerned about as the BIOS defaults are generally the most stable, safest settings. If you've made CUSTOM changes to your existing BIOS setup, you can document them on paper, then re-implement these settings AFTER you've flashed your motherboard with the new BIOS.

Hope this helps.

- John

abichan

abichan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

abichan,

When flashing a motherboard with new BIOS, clearing the CMOS basically means that the flash BIOS upgrade is going to wipe out any custom settings you previously may have configured in the BIOS setup. Generally, this is NOT anything to be concerned about as the BIOS defaults are generally the most stable, safest settings. If you've made CUSTOM changes to your existing BIOS setup, you can document them on paper, then re-implement these settings AFTER you've flashed your motherboard with the new BIOS.

Hope this helps.

- John

Thank you for your response John, so in other words I do not have to clear no CMOS after flashing the BIOS in my motherboard? Just flash then load default settings within the BIOS menu? Here is a link to my BIOS:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=230652...ey=𸓼

Edited by abichan, 12 April 2008 - 08:56 PM.