Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

TrojanDownloader.xs

• Please log in to reply

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Ok Loki,
We need to figure out which program is creating all the trouble when booting normally.
There are a couple of different ways to do this, and I believe we are going to need your original XP disk if available.

Lets go through the first steps.
There is a boot method to start your computer with the minimum of services running. The link I am going to give you is to a Microsoft help page for gamers, but it is the detection method we would like to use here. Follow the instructions for the XP based system, and see if we can find which program is bad on your machine.
LINK: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

If you have any problems let me know, I will be waiting for your response.

Harry

Advertisements

Mythical Detective Loki

Mythical Detective Loki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
In case it is relevant I will keep a small log of how everything goes along:

Used Method 2 and restarted the computer onto Normal Mode. None of the messages that come up when my computer strats came up, however internet Explorer could not display any webpages even when I was conncted. To experiment I tried starting one of my messengers and it could not connect to the server. For the internet connection I used Windows for Intel would not open.

Tomorrow I will commense with other steps. If anything can be told from what was done so far please let me know tomorrow if possible. However I do not have at the moment time to finish the steps ^^'
Sorry if that is an inconvienance

Edited by Mythical Detective Loki, 28 April 2008 - 09:46 PM.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
No problem Loki, glad to see a positive step.
This will be quite a bit of work on your part, hang in there :)

Harry

Mythical Detective Loki

Mythical Detective Loki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I now used Method 3

I did Method three step 2

I restarted to normal mode and Internet Explorer now works, however AIM messenger gets the error message of Settings Error Before Sign In. Windows Live Messenger however operates fine.

I tried to open iTunes and it didn't work: I got the message of (null) is not a valid Win32 application.
However there is a possibility this is due to my deselecting the applications of Apple Mobile Device and iPod Service since the step says to deseloect half.
I tried to take a screen shot of this however when I tried to paste the image to paint the following error message came up:
'error getting the clipboard data'
'There is not enough memory or resources to complete operation. Close some programs, then try again.'

Also when I did one last test- I decided to see if my sound was working. So I went to YouTube and searched a music video- no sound was produced.
---

I am not a really computer person, so if you don't mind I will wait a bit to perform more steps to avoid somehow wrecking my computer, because with my luck something like that may happen. So if you have any further input on this with thus far collected data please let me know. In case it is relevant here is the list of checked and unchecked programs after hiding all Microsoft Services:
List of Unchecked

Apple Mobile Device
AVG7 Update Service
AVG7 E-Mail Scanner
Bonjour Service
GoToAssist
Google Updater Service
iPod Service
Trend Micro Central Control Component
Messenger Sharing Folders USN Journal Reader service
Viewpoint Manager Service

List of Checked

PsExec
Intel ® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service
Intel ® PROSet/ Wireless Service
Trend Micro Real-time Service
Trend Micro Personal Firewall
Trend Micro Proxy Service
Intel® PROSet/Wireless SSO Service

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Ok Loki,
I would really like to see these error messages :)

I am going to ask a couple of questions, and have one of the programmers take a look at this to see if there is a better way to figure out whats goin on here. Hang tough :)

Harry

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
Hi Loki,
Sorry for the delay, I have been researching this.

I had asked earlier if you had your Windows CD, I would like to run a tool that might require the disk.
Let me know if you have it.

Harry

Mythical Detective Loki

Mythical Detective Loki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I will have to check and see if my system even came with a disk...but I don't think it did. I believe it just came with the microsoft program discs possibly. I'll check in the morning and let you know if I have this.

Mythical Detective Loki

Mythical Detective Loki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've been searching for a forever and do not have a windows disk, I got my microsoft disks and media direct disks and such that they sent me with the laptop system I have. Other then that I have a spare hard drive...

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
OK Loki,
we are going to run System File Checker, to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:
My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.

Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows XP CD, try whatever system disk you have and let me know the results.

Harry

Mythical Detective Loki

Mythical Detective Loki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've tried this, but the scan menu doesn't even come up, and I even tried typing it in every differnt way and it still doesn't work.
I went to Dell and their solution is to restore the system, however I can't get past step 2, which requires when the Dell load-up screen comes up to press Ctrl+F11 and release them at the same time. A window is supposed to come up but no window has come up,
This is really frustrating me because for over 2 hours I've been doing that over and over again in every different way possible. If you could assist me here please or in some other way that would be wonderful!
Also sorry for not coming back and replying in so long, my laptop systems adapter had been chewed on so my laptop was out of commission for a while until I finally got the part sent by Dell.

Advertisements