Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241

• Please log in to reply

zookeeper38

zookeeper38

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Compaq Presario 2100 laptop w/QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241. Am I trying to play the wrong kind of DVD? The drive won't get started but plays commercial DVDs ok. Should I record a different type of disc (using a Sony DVD/VHS transfer machine)?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a combi drive. Combi drives were all the rage before DVD-R and DVD+R format wars took off.
A lot of combi drives can be fussy about the type of disks they talk to.
It may be worth trying different brands and even DVD-R disks.

diamond44

diamond44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need help with my QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241. Unlike everyone else I seem to read about, my CDs won't play or even show under "My Computer - "D" Drive". When I insert a DVD everything is fine. I can watch a DVD with both sound and picture and using any type of media player available. But put in a CD to listen to and all I get is the "knocking" sound that everyone else talks about when they try to use a DVD!

How strange that my drive is doing the exact opposite to everyone else. I have downloaded the latest firmware for the SBW-241 and installation ran fine. No CD located. I even uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. Fine for DVDs but not CDs. Am I missing something? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. :)