Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Touch Pad Problems

• Please log in to reply

Angst

Angst

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
The touchpad on this laptop that i'm using has become sticky. Is there any safe way to clean the touchpad, as well as this sticky screen?

EDIT:

Also, on my laptop, there are up and down and side to side scroll thingys. When I first got the laptop, they worked. Now they don't. Help?

Edited by Angst, 13 April 2008 - 09:47 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Angst,

What model laptop do you have? Most laptop manufacturers have a separate program that manages the touchpad (like the scrolling things) that you may need to look at.

As far as the touchpad itself, you are safe to use a moist washcloth. Not wet, not damp, moist, so that you can't even squeeze anymore water out. Make sure the laptop is powered off too, just in case.

The screen: there are a number of commercial products out there that are specially made for cleaning laptop screens. Best Buy has like five different kinds - I can't remember which one I bought.

Angst

Angst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Well, I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, and I might as well fix my mom's computer as well, a Dell Inspiron 6000.

(most of my help topics are pertaining to my mom's laptop.)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Well here are drivers for the 6400 for XP and Vista. Your touchpad is made by Synaptic, while your mom's is made my Alps. Your moms drivers are here for XP. All you need to do after the drivers are updated is go into the Mouse Properties Control Panel, and in the Dell Touchpad tab, click the picture of the mouse pad. Then click on settings and adjust to your liking.

Edited by The Admiral, 15 April 2008 - 06:06 AM.

Angst

Angst

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Sorry for not replying, i've just been busy with school. T_T

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I know the feeling: I just got done with finals week! Did your touchpad end up working for you?