Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random reboots

• Please log in to reply

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
The tests either run on the RAM or CPU. A 2 hour test would be enough time to turn up a memory fault.

All I read was the first post, and browsed through to see if Memtest was used as of late. I will look farther into this problem, and it's error codes. I don't just do malware removal (well not fully yet) :)

EDIT: As an extra note Arisme, can you please boot into Safe Mode and tell me if you experience the BSoD there. This could rule out whether it was a programme issue.

If it still goes on, can you please try some of The Skeptics advice about sfc /scannow or a repair install.

Thank you.

Regards,
Techpro5238

Edited by techpro5238, 18 April 2008 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

arisme

arisme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Generally speaking technicians do not try to pinpoint the source of the problem because....

I understand. I have spent stints in tech support, and appreciate the limitations of an environment such as this.

1: Run System File Checker.

Have done several times since the reboot problem started. I start a scan without the CD inserted. If a replacement file is needed, SFC will ask for the CD, otherwise the progress bar will run to completion. This tells me whether one or more system file have been replaced.

I still have to find an SFC log that will tell me what was replaced, and better still, which files were checked.

2: XP repair. This is a process that I hardly ever use because many times you end up with more problems then you start with.

I share your reservations, and have some experience of failed repair consequences with systems other than XP. As a general approach, I prefer to track down the cause of a problem, and deal with it specifically.

I thank you, and all those who took an interest, very much for all your time and help. I had no idea of how to even begin to tackle the problem when I first posted it on the forum. Now I understand much more, and have several options to follow.

I am extremely grateful to you all.

Aris

arisme

arisme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
techpro5238,

As an extra note Arisme, can you please boot into Safe Mode and tell me if you experience the BSoD there. This could rule out whether it was a programme issue.

No problems. Booted into Safe Mode, ran a few of the available programs, rebooted back to full windows.

When opportunity presents itself, I shall try verifying the reduced driver set of Safe Mode to see if the faulty driver is part of that set. I will report back on that - probably tomorrow.

Aris