Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

what kind of games can i expect to run on a GEFORCE 8600 set up?

• Please log in to reply

black_shadow_1981

black_shadow_1981

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi everyone heres my pc specs.....

Processor Type INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6550
Clock-Speed 2.13GHz
Front Side BUS 1333MHz
Cache 4 MB
Operating-System Windows Vista Premium
RAM Memory 2048 MB
Hard Disk Capacity 320 GB
Graphics Memory 512 MB
Graphics Description NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600 GS

im very very new to pc gameing but want to give it a try, i dont know much about pc's when it comes to running games or what is needed in terms of gfx cards etc, could you plz give me examples of the kinda games i will be able to run and how they would look (eemmm best way would be to compare to a ps2 or xbox or something so i have a benchmark)

i wanna be able to play secound life and hafe life 2 and other FPS, but i would love it if you could list some games that will run good on my setup so i can get an idea of what will work and what will run like a b1tch on heat, what will just sit there like a plastic bag blowing in the wind (MAJOR lag)

THANK YOU for helping this newbie out and im sorry if ive made myself seem dumb but im a 100% newbie to pc gameing (save from theme park on my 486 many many many years ago lol)

cheers guys once again i wait for your wisdom

Advertisements

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
You can play just about anything you want. I have one system that is loaded up with an 8600 GT (256MB DDR3 620MHz Core) and it will play Crysis on Medium settings. Don't expect the HIGH SETTINGS unless you love choppy play. Other than that, I've played just about every game out right now on High settings with it. I also have a dual 8600 GT (256MB DDR3, 620MHz Core) system that will play Crysis on High. But....if you're just building this rig and haven't put the video card in it yet.....don't waste your money on the 8600's.....the 9600 is a much bigger bang for your buck and right now you can get one for around 169-199 depending on where you shop. With the 9600....forget about worrying what you can play...and worry about how much money you're gonna spend in games!!!!

Carl

black_shadow_1981

black_shadow_1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i dont get to pick the GPU card myself lol it comes in a pre-build tower but thanks for the wounderful news!!!! so like my games will look better then they do on my ps2 and xbox but not as good as my ps3, i can handle that :) thanks for the input, GTA SA here i come! and ima play the crap outta half life 2 :)

recomend any games?

(im shocked to see that Crysis will work even on low settings) but thats good news, i like a good FPS

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
People on here will probably laugh, but I actually recommend Battlefield 2. If you're into longevity first person shooters...Battlefield 2 is the way to go. It's based on a ranked system where you gain rank and points, badges and weapon unlocks. If you've never seen it, do some Google searches for it. It's relatively in-expensive these days, but well worth the money you'll spend on it. It's free to play on ranked servers, and will provide many hours of entertainment.

I'd also recommend Lost Planet....if you were looking for something else that is DX-10 now. It's a rather interesting game....but again, will give you a few days of fun (depending on your time allowed for gaming and your skill...I beat it in a week).

Last but not least....I have to recommend this one for PC .....Ghost Recon 2.....this game is just down right sick.......the gameplay is amazing.....I wouldn't pass it up in the game aisle!

As far as not being able to change the card.....you can always save a couple hundred bucks....pull that 8600GT out of the system...throw it on Ebay...make 80 bucks off it...and buy yourself the 9600 GT..... :))

Carl

black_shadow_1981

black_shadow_1981

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i just finished "lost planet" on my ps3, amazing game also ghost recon 1 and 2 on my on my xbox360 before it got the rrod and died on me(if we are talking about the same game) i was let down when i found out that the newist splinter cell wouldnt be comeing to ps3 but now i will be able to get it for my pc :) wooohoooo so thats something to look forward to

also i just wanted to say that your tower looks amazing, looks like you really pimped it out with all the lights and stuff very cool

im going to see how i get along with this GPU card and if i can get used to gameing with keys and mouse i might update it to a beter model

i wounder if vista would let me use a xbox360 or ps3 pad for my games....thats something i should try out

im really looking forward to trying out pc gameing

anyways thanks for everything you have been very helpful

PSN blackshadow1981
yahoo messy ID black_shadow_1981
NO POINT GIVEING OUT MY XBOX360 TAG SINCE IT DIED ON ME!!!!

Edited by black_shadow_1981, 14 April 2008 - 09:37 PM.

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
You can use your XBox 360 game controllers.

As far as the case....it actually comes that way with the lights......you can google Thermaltake Kandalf LCS and see exactly what I have.
It also comes with the liquid cooling system built in....you just have to connect it all.
I have added quite a few lights and wingy dings.......like I've said in some other posts....my friends always tell me....
"None of that crap makes the computer any faster"....and I always tell them...."Yeah...but I can see mine in the dark...and my 2 year old thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced raisin bread".. :))

Carl

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

You can use your XBox 360 game controllers.

While there are controllers on the market that can be used with your PC, you need the adapter to this to properly function. This adapter can only be purchased with a new remote.
James

Edited by james_8970, 15 April 2008 - 10:33 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Also, I have had issues with my 360 controllers. It works well on most older games but newer first person shooters are out of the question.

For example:

In Team Fortress 2 it insists that look is the left joystick. Even options that specifically indicate that you change the joystick you look with, nothing changes.

F.E.A.R. will not allow me to map the RT to any function so I have to shoot with RB.

There is somewhat of a compatibility issue with the 360 controllers.

Edit: The original cord-only Xbox 360 controllers will work without the wireless adapter.

Edited by Titan8990, 15 April 2008 - 12:32 PM.